Is Having a Unique Equilibrium Robust?
We investigate whether having a unique equilibrium (or a given number of equilibria) is robust to perturbation of the payoffs, both for Nash equilibrium and correlated equilibrium. We show that the set of n-player finite games with a unique correlated equilibrium is open, while this is not true of Nash equilibrium for n>2. The crucial lemma is that a unique correlated equilibrium is a quasi-strict Nash equilibrium. Related results are studied. For instance, we show that generic two-person zero-sum games have a unique correlated equilibrium and that, while the set of symmetric bimatrix games with a unique symmetric Nash equilibrium is not open, the set of symmetric bimatrix games with a unique and quasi-strict symmetric Nash equilibrium is.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Journal of Mathematical Economics, 2008, 44, 11, 1152-1160|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00361891/en/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- AUMANN, Robert J., .
"Subjectivity and correlation in randomized strategies,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-167, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aumann, Robert J., 1974. "Subjectivity and correlation in randomized strategies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 67-96, March.
- R. Aumann, 2010. "Subjectivity and Correlation in Randomized Strategies," Levine's Working Paper Archive 389, David K. Levine.
- Nau, Robert F. & McCardle, Kevin F., 1990. "Coherent behavior in noncooperative games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 424-444, April.
- Forges, Francoise, 1990.
"Correlated Equilibrium in Two-Person Zero-Sum Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(2), pages 515, March.
- FORGES, Françoise, . "Correlated equilibrium in two-person zero-sum games," CORE Discussion Papers RP -883, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ritzberger, Klaus, 1994. "The Theory of Normal Form Games form the Differentiable Viewpoint," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 207-36.
- Myerson, Roger B., 1997.
"Dual Reduction and Elementary Games,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 183-202, October.
- Noa Nitzan, 2005. "Tight Correlated Equilibrium," Discussion Paper Series dp394, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00361891. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.