Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process
In this article, we investigate conditional mean and variance forecasts using a dynamic model following a k-factor GIGARCH process. We are particularly interested in calculating the conditional variance of the prediction error. We apply this method to electricity prices and test spot prices forecasts until one month ahead forecast. We conclude that the k-factor GIGARCH process is a suitable tool to forecast spot prices, using the classical RMSE criteria.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Applied Energy, 2009, 86, 4, 505-510|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00307606|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guégan D., 2004.
"How Can We Define The Concept of Long Memory? An Econometric Survey,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
178, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Dominique Guegan, 2005. "How can we Define the Concept of Long Memory? An Econometric Survey," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 113-149.
- Dominique Guegan, 2005. "How can we define the concept of long memory ? An econometric survey," Post-Print halshs-00179343, HAL.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Conejo, Antonio J. & Contreras, Javier & Espinola, Rosa & Plazas, Miguel A., 2005. "Forecasting electricity prices for a day-ahead pool-based electric energy market," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 435-462.
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guegan, 2008. "The k-factor Gegenbauer asymmetric Power GARCH approach for modelling electricity spot price dynamics," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08013, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Dominique Guegan, 2003. "A prospective study of the k-factor Gegenbauer processes with heteroscedastic errors and an application to inflation rates," Post-Print halshs-00201314, HAL.
- Ferrara, Laurent & Guegan, Dominique, 2001. "Forecasting with k-Factor Gegenbauer Processes: Theory and Applications," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(8), pages 581-601, December.
- Dominique Guegan & Abdou Kâ Diongue & Bertrand Vignal, 2004. "A k- factor GIGARCH process : estimation and application to electricity market spot prices," Post-Print halshs-00188533, HAL.
- Dominique Guegan, 2004. "How Can We Define the Long Memory Concept? An Econometric Survey," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 361, Econometric Society.
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guegan, 2008. "The k-factor Gegenbauer asymmetric Power GARCH approach for modelling electricity spot price dynamics," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00259225, HAL.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius & Carnero, M. Angeles, 2007. "Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMAGARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 16-27, March.
- Misiorek Adam & Trueck Stefan & Weron Rafal, 2006. "Point and Interval Forecasting of Spot Electricity Prices: Linear vs. Non-Linear Time Series Models," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-36, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00307606. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.