Forecasting electricity spot market prices with a k-factor GIGARCH process
In this article, we investigate conditional mean and variance forecasts using a dynamic model following a k-factor GIGARCH process. We are particularly interested in calculating the conditional variance of the prediction error. We apply this method to electricity prices and test spot prices forecasts until one month ahead forecast. We conclude that the k-factor GIGARCH process is a suitable tool to forecast spot prices, using the classical RMSE criteria.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Publication status:||Published in Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 2007.58 - ISSN : 1955-611X. 2007|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00188264v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dominique Guegan, 2004. "How Can We Define the Long Memory Concept? An Econometric Survey," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 361, Econometric Society.
- Dominique Guegan & Abdou Kâ Diongue & Bertrand Vignal, 4/07. "A k- factor GIGARCH process : estimation and application to electricity market spot prices," Post-Print halshs-00188533, HAL.
- Misiorek Adam & Trueck Stefan & Weron Rafal, 2006. "Point and Interval Forecasting of Spot Electricity Prices: Linear vs. Non-Linear Time Series Models," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-36, September.
- Laurent Ferrara & Dominique Guegan, 1/12.
"Forecasting with k-factor Gegenbauer Processes: Theory and Applications,"
- Ferrara, Laurent & Guegan, Dominique, 2001. "Forecasting with k-Factor Gegenbauer Processes: Theory and Applications," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(8), pages 581-601, December.
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guegan, 2008.
"The k-factor Gegenbauer asymmetric Power GARCH approach for modelling electricity spot price dynamics,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Abdou Kâ Diongue & Dominique Guegan, 2008. "The k-factor Gegenbauer asymmetric Power GARCH approach for modelling electricity spot price dynamics," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne b08013, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Dominique Guegan, 2005.
"How can we define the concept of long memory ? An econometric survey,"
- Dominique Guegan, 2005. "How can we Define the Concept of Long Memory? An Econometric Survey," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 113-149.
- Guégan D., 2004. "How Can We Define The Concept of Long Memory? An Econometric Survey," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 178, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Marius Ooms & M. Angeles Carnero, 2005.
"Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMA-GARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-091/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius & Carnero, M. Angeles, 2007. "Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMAGARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 16-27, March.
- Dominique Guegan, 2003. "A prospective study of the k-factor Gegenbauer processes with heteroscedastic errors and an application to inflation rates," Post-Print halshs-00201314, HAL.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Conejo, Antonio J. & Contreras, Javier & Espinola, Rosa & Plazas, Miguel A., 2005. "Forecasting electricity prices for a day-ahead pool-based electric energy market," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 435-462.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00188264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.