Information-Theoretic Distribution Test with Application to Normality
We derive general distribution tests based on the method of Maximum Entropy density. The proposed tests are derived from maximizing the di®erential entropy subject to moment constraints. By exploiting the equivalence between the Maximum Entropy and Maximum Likelihood estimates of the general exponential family, we can use the conventional Likelihood Ratio, Wald and Lagrange Multiplier testing principles in the maximum entropy framework. In particular, we use the Lagrange Multiplier method to derive tests for normality and their asymptotic properties. Monte Carlo evidence suggests that the proposed tests have desirable small sample properties and often outperform commonly used tests such as the Jarque-Bera test and the Kolmogorov-Smirnov-Lillie test for normality. We show that the proposed tests can be extended totests based on regression residuals and non-iid data in a straightforward manner. We apply the proposed tests to the residuals from a stochastic production frontier model and reject the normality hypothesis.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1|
Phone: (519) 824-4120 ext. 53898
Fax: (519) 763-8497
Web page: https://www.uoguelph.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. Ormoneit & H. White, 1999. "An efficient algorithm to compute maximum entropy densities," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 127-140.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2001.
"Tests for Skewness, Kurtosis, and Normality for Time Series Data,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
501, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2005. "Tests for Skewness, Kurtosis, and Normality for Time Series Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 49-60, January.
- Bera, Anil K. & Jarque, Carlos M., 1981. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals : Monte Carlo Evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 313-318.
- Dalén, Jörgen, 1987. "Algebraic bounds on standardized sample moments," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 329-331, August.
- Ximing Wu & Thanasis Stengos, 2005. "Partially adaptive estimation via the maximum entropy densities," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(3), pages 352-366, December.
- Christian Bontemps & Nour Meddahi, 2002.
"Testing Normality: A GMM Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Christian BONTEMPS & Nour MEDDAHI, 2002. "Testing Normality : A Gmm Approach," Cahiers de recherche 14-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BONTEMPS, Christian & MEDDAHI, Nour, 2002. "Testing Normality : A GMM Approach," Cahiers de recherche 2002-14, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Greene, William H, 1976. "Economies of Scale in U.S. Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 655-676, August.
- Yiguo Sun & Thanasis Stengos, 2008.
"The absolute health income hypothesis revisited: a semiparametric quantile regression approach,"
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 395-412, September.
- Thanasis Stengos & Yiguo Sun, 2006. "The absolute health income hypothesis revisited: A Semiparametric Quantile Regression Approach," Working Papers 0606, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Thanasis Stengos & Yiguo Sun, 2005. "The Absolute Health Income Hypothesis Revisited : A Semiparametric Quantile Regression Approach," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 7-2005, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Yiguo Sun & Thanasis Stengos, 2007. "The absolute health income hypothesis revisited: A Semiparametric Quantile Regression Approach," Working Paper Series 23_07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Guido W. Imbens & Phillip Johnson & Richard H. Spady, 1995.
"Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0186, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido W. Imbens & Richard H. Spady & Phillip Johnson, 1998. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 333-358, March.
- Imbens, G.W. & Johnson, P. & Spady, R.H., 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Movement Condition Models," Economics Papers 99, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Guido W. Imbens & Phillip Johnson & Richard H. Spady, 1995. "Information Theoretic Approaches to Inference in Moment Condition Models," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1736, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Guido W Imbens, Phillip Johnson & Richard H Spady, "undated". "Information theoretic approaches to inference in moment condition model," Economics Papers W12., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Wu, Ximing, 2003. "Calculation of maximum entropy densities with application to income distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 347-354, August.
- Thanasis Stengos & Ximing Wu, 2005. "Partially Adaptive Estimation via Maximum Entropy Densities," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 6-2005, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- Zellner, Arnold & Highfield, Richard A., 1988. "Calculation of maximum entropy distributions and approximation of marginalposterior distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 195-209, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gue:guelph:2006-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Kosempel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.