The Absolute Health Income Hypothesis Revisited : A Semiparametric Quantile Regression Approach
This paper uses the 1998-99 Canadian National Population Health Survey (NPHS) data to examine the health-income relationship that underlies the absolute income hypothesis. To allow for nonlinearity and data heterogeneity, we use a partially linear semiparametric quantile regression model. Among more than dozen of socioeconomic variables, we find that family income, age and the food security status are the most important factors in explaining an individual's overall functional health. The "absolute income hypothesis" is partially true; the negative aging effects appear more pronounced for the ill-healthy population than for the healthy population and when annual income is below 40,000 Canadian dollars.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.ucy.ac.cy|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stengos, T. & Li, Q., 1993.
"Adaptive Estimation in the Panel Data Error Component Model with Heteroskedasticity of Unknown Form,"
1993-4, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Li, Qi & Stengos, Thanasis, 1994. "Adaptive Estimation in the Panel Data Error Component Model with Heteroskedasticity of Unknown Form," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(4), pages 981-1000, November.
- Phillips, Robert F., 1994. "Partially adaptive estimation via a normal mixture," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 123-144.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1988. "Adaptive estimation of regression models via moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 301-339, July.
- Dalén, Jörgen, 1987. "Algebraic bounds on standardized sample moments," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 329-331, August.
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- Peter Hall & Rodney C. L. Wolff & Qiwei Yao, 1999. "Methods for estimating a conditional distribution function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6631, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Wu, Ximing & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2007. "GMM estimation of a maximum entropy distribution with interval data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(2), pages 532-546, June.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Greene, William H, 1976. "Economies of Scale in U.S. Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 655-76, August.
- Newey, W.K. & Powell, J.L. & Walker, J.R., 1990.
"Semiparametric Estimation Of Selection Models: Some Empirical Results,"
9001, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Newey, Whitney K & Powell, James L & Walker, James R, 1990. "Semiparametric Estimation of Selection Models: Some Empirical Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 324-28, May.
- Wu, Ximing, 2003. "Calculation of maximum entropy densities with application to income distribution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 347-354, August.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:9:y:1993:i:4:p:539-69 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zheng, John Xu, 1998. "A Consistent Nonparametric Test Of Parametric Regression Models Under Conditional Quantile Restrictions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 123-138, February.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- Linton, Oliver, 1993.
"Adaptive Estimation in ARCH Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 539-569, August.
- Paul Contoyannis & Martin Forster, .
"The Distribution of Health and Income: A Theoretical Framework,"
98/22, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Contoyannis, Paul & Forster, Martin, 1999. "The distribution of health and income: a theoretical framework," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 603-620, October.
- McDonald, James B., 1989. "Partially adaptive estimation of ARMA time series models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 217-230.
- Williamson, Deanna L., 2000. "Health behaviours and health: evidence that the relationship is not conditional on income adequacy," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 51(12), pages 1741-1754, December.
- Rosenberg, Mark W. & Wilson, Kathleen, 2000. "Gender, poverty and location: how much difference do they make in the geography of health inequalities?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 275-287, July.
- Steigerwald, Douglas G., 1992. "On the finite sample behavior of adaptive estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 371-400.
- McDonald, James B. & Newey, Whitney K., 1988. "Partially Adaptive Estimation of Regression Models via the Generalized T Distribution," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 428-457, December.
- Khan, Shakeeb & Powell, James L., 2001. "Two-step estimation of semiparametric censored regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 73-110, July.
- Yiguo Sun, 2005. "Semiparametric Efficient Estimation of Partially Linear Quantile Regression Models," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 6(1), pages 105-127, May.
- Zellner, Arnold & Highfield, Richard A., 1988. "Calculation of maximum entropy distributions and approximation of marginalposterior distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 195-209, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucy:cypeua:7-2005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.