Smoothed empirical likelihood analysis of partially linear quantile regression models with missing response variables
In this paper, we consider the estimation and inference of the parameters and the nonparametric part in partially linear quantile regression models with responses that are missing at random. First, we extend the normal approximation (NA)-based methods of Sun ( 2005 ) to the missing data case. However, the asymptotic covariance matrices of NA-based methods are difficult to estimate, which complicates inference. To overcome this problem, alternatively, we propose the smoothed empirical likelihood (SEL)-based methods. We define SEL statistics for the parameters and the nonparametric part and demonstrate that the limiting distributions of the statistics are Chi-squared distributions. Accordingly, confidence regions can be obtained without the estimation of the asymptotic covariance matrices. Monte Carlo simulations are conducted to evaluate the performance of the proposed method. Finally, the NA- and SEL-based methods are applied to real data. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 97 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=112915 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoon-Jae Whang, 2004.
"Smoothed Empirical Likelihood Methods for Quantile Regression Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1453, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2006. "Smoothed Empirical Likelihood Methods For Quantile Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 173-205, April.
- Yoon-Jae Whang, 2003. "Smoothed Empirical Likelihood Methods for Quantile Regression Models," Econometrics 0310005, EconWPA.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 2002. "Bootstrap critical values for tests based on the smoothed maximum score estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 141-167, December.
- Qin, Gengsheng & Tsao, Min, 2003. "Empirical likelihood inference for median regression models for censored survival data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 416-430, May.
- Chaudhuri, Probal, 1991. "Global nonparametric estimation of conditional quantile functions and their derivatives," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 246-269, November.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1996.
"Bootstrap Methods for Median Regression Models,"
- Zhou, Yong & Wan, Alan T. K & Wang, Xiaojing, 2008. "Estimating Equations Inference With Missing Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(483), pages 1187-1199.
- Hahn, Jinyong, 1995. "Bootstrapping Quantile Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 105-121, February.
- Sokbae 'Simon' Lee, 2004.
"Endogeneity in quantile regression models: a control function approach,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP08/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lee, Sokbae, 2007. "Endogeneity in quantile regression models: A control function approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1131-1158, December.
- Sokbae Lee, 2004. "Endogeneity in Quantile Regression Models: A Control Function Approach," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 521, Econometric Society.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1992. "A Smoothed Maximum Score Estimator for the Binary Response Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(3), pages 505-31, May.
- Chen, Songnian & Khan, Shakeeb, 2001. "Semiparametric Estimation Of A Partially Linear Censored Regression Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(03), pages 567-590, June.
- Yu, Keming & Stander, Julian, 2007. "Bayesian analysis of a Tobit quantile regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 260-276, March.
- Hua Liang & Suojin Wang & Raymond J. Carroll, 2007. "Partially linear models with missing response variables and error-prone covariates," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(1), pages 185-198.
- Lee, Sokbae, 2003. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation Of A Partially Linear Quantile Regression Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 1-31, February.
- Yiguo Sun, 2005. "Semiparametric Efficient Estimation of Partially Linear Quantile Regression Models," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 6(1), pages 105-127, May.
- Blundell, Richard & Powell, James L., 2007. "Censored regression quantiles with endogenous regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 65-83, November.
- Xingdong Feng & Xuming He & Jianhua Hu, 2011. "Wild bootstrap for quantile regression," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 98(4), pages 995-999.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1795-1843, November.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Rothe, Christoph, 2009. "Semiparametric estimation of binary response models with endogenous regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 51-64, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:alstar:v:97:y:2013:i:4:p:317-347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.