Nonparametric Estimation and Inference on Conditional Quantile Processes
We consider the estimation and inference about a nonparametrically specified con- ditional quantile process. For estimation, a two-step procedure is proposed. The first step utilizes local linear regressions and maintains quantile monotonicity through sim- ple inequality constraints. The second step involves linear interpolation between adja- cent quantiles. When computing the estimator, the bandwidth parameter is allowed to vary across quantiles to adapt to the data sparsity. The procedure is computationally simple to implement and is feasible even for relatively large data sets. For inference, we first obtain a uniform Bahadur-type representation for the conditional quantile process. Then, we show that the estimator converges weakly to a continuous Gaussian process, whose critical values can be estimated via simulations by exploiting the fact that it is conditionally pivotal. Next, we demonstrate how to compute the optimal bandwidth, construct uniform confidence bands and test hypotheses about the quantile process. Finally, we examine the performance of the bandwidth selection rule and the uniform confidence bands through simulations.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bu.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Hansen, Christian & Jansson, Michael, 2009. "Finite sample inference for quantile regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 93-103, October.
- Neocleous, Tereza & Portnoy, Stephen, 2008. "On monotonicity of regression quantile functions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(10), pages 1226-1229, August.
- Sergio Firpo, 2004.
"Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Quantile Treatment Effects,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
605, Econometric Society.
- Sergio Firpo, 2007. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Quantile Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 259-276, 01.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521845731 is not listed on IDEAS
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Alfred Galichon, 2007.
"Quantile and probability curves without crossing,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP10/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Alfred Galichon, 2007. "Quantile And Probability Curves Without Crossing," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-011, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Alfred Galichon, 2010. "Quantile and Probability Curves without Crossing," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/5rkqqmvrn4t, Sciences Po.
- Bai, Jushan, 1996. "Testing for Parameter Constancy in Linear Regressions: An Empirical Distribution Function Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 597-622, May.
- Heckman, James J & Smith, Jeffrey, 1997. "Making the Most Out of Programme Evaluations and Social Experiments: Accounting for Heterogeneity in Programme Impacts," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(4), pages 487-535, October.
- Zhongjun Qu & Tatsushi Oka, 2010.
"Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2010-052, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Oka, Tatsushi & Qu, Zhongjun, 2011. "Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 248-267, June.
- Holger Dette & Stanislav Volgushev, 2008. "Non-crossing non-parametric estimates of quantile curves," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 70(3), pages 609-627.
- Roger Koenker & Zhijie Xiao, 2002. "Inference on the Quantile Regression Process," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1583-1612, July.
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Härdle, Wolfgang K. & Song, Song, 2010. "Confidence Bands In Quantile Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(04), pages 1180-1200, August.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608275 is not listed on IDEAS
- Howard D. Bondell & Brian J. Reich & Huixia Wang, 2010. "Noncrossing quantile regression curve estimation," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 97(4), pages 825-838.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bos:wpaper:wp2011-059. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gillian Gurish)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.