Offshoring and Heterogeneous Firms: One Job Offshored, One Job Lost?
Offshoring has gained a significant momentum in recent years. Firm size appears to be the leading factor differentiating firms that offshore from those that do not. We present a model that blends offshoring, or trade in tasks, with a Melitz-style model of monopolistic competition with heterogeneous firms and show that this is indeed the case. Accounting for firm heterogeneity offers new tools for analyzing the effects of offshoring on the employment dynamics within an individual firm and at the aggregate sector level. We show that offshoring unambiguously reduces per-firm labour demand in smaller firms, but has ambiguous effects in larger firms. As a result, irrespective of whether or not the number of firms operating in the offshoring nation increases, the overall sector employment may increase or decrease. Policies promoting free trade have a significant role to play in job creation. The model also permits a straightforward derivation of positive and normative effects of offshoring: trade in tasks increases productivity of active firms and improves welfare in the offshoring nation.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," CEPR Discussion Papers 3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Richard Baldwin & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2008.
"Offshoring: General Equilibrium Effects on Wages, Production and Trade,"
Development Working Papers
250, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2007. "Offshoring: General Equilibrium Effects on Wages, Production and Trade," CEP Discussion Papers dp0794, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Baldwin, Richard & Robert-Nicoud, Frédéric, 2007. "Offshoring: General Equilibrium Effects on Wages, Production and Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 6218, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Frédéric Robert-Nicoud, 2007. "Offshoring: general equilibrium effects on wages, production and trade," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19720, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Baldwin & Frederic Robert-Nicoud, 2007. "Offshoring: General Equilibrium Effects on Wages, Production and Trade," NBER Working Papers 12991, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Catherine L. Mann, 2003. "Globalization of IT Services and White Collar Jobs: The Next Wave of Productivity Growth," Policy Briefs PB03-11, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Alexander Hijzen, & Tomohiko Inui, & Yasuyuki Todo, .
"Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence From Japan,"
07/14, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Alexander Hijzen & Tomohiko Inui & Yasuyuki Todo, 2010. "Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence From Japan," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 880-895, October.
- Alexander HIJZEN & INUI Tomohiko & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007. "Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence from Japan," Discussion papers 07005, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Richard E. Baldwin & Toshihiro Okubo, 2006.
"Heterogeneous firms, agglomeration and economic geography: spatial selection and sorting,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 6(3), pages 323-346, June.
- Richard Baldwin & Toshihiro Okubo, 2005. "Heterogeneous Firms, Agglomeration and Economic Geography: Spatial Selection and Sorting," NBER Working Papers 11650, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Donald R., 1995. "Intra-industry trade: A Heckscher-Ohlin-Ricardo approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 201-226, November.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998.
"Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models,"
422, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "Fragmentation in simple trade models," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
- Baldwin, Richard & Forslid, Rikard, 2004.
"Trade Liberalization with Heterogenous Firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4635, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Findlay, Ronald & Jones, Ronald, 2000. "Factor bias and technical progress," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 303-308, September.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998.
"Fragmentation Across Cones,"
98-14, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004.
"Fear of Service Outsourcing: Is It Justified?,"
NBER Working Papers
10808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2008.
"Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1978-97, December.
- Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael & Wolfmayr-Schnitzer, Yvonne, 2001. "The international fragmentation of Austrian manufacturing: The effects of outsourcing on productivity and wages," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 257-272, November.
- repec:rus:hseeco:122439 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alexander Hijzen & Paul Swaim, 2007.
"Does offshoring reduce industry employment?,"
National Institute Economic Review,
National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 201(1), pages 86-96, July.
- Karsten Bjerring Olsen, 2006. "Productivity Impacts of Offshoring and Outsourcing: A Review," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/1, OECD Publishing.
- Jacob Funk Kirkegaard, 2007. "Offshoring, Outsourcing, and Production Relocation—Labor-Market Effects in the OECD Countries and Developing Asia," Working Paper Series WP07-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Amiti, Mary & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2006. "Service Offshoring, Productivity and Employment: Evidence from the US," CEPR Discussion Papers 5475, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cosimo Beverelli, 2007. "Offshoring and Manufacturing Employment: A General Equilibrium Analysis," IHEID Working Papers 25-2007, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 11 Oct 2007.
- Gorg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2005. "Labour demand effects of international outsourcing: Evidence from plant-level data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-376.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heiwp28-2007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Sokolova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.