Competition between State Universities
We analyse how state university competition to collect resources may a¤ect both the quality of teaching and research. By considering a set-up where two state universities behave strategically, we model their interaction with potential students as a sequential noncooperative game. We show that di¤erent types of equilibrium may arise, depending on the mix of research and teaching activity supplied by each university, and the mix of low and high ability students attending each university. The most e¢ cient equilibrium results in the creation of an élite institution attended only by high ability students. Low ability students are segregated in the other university, but obtain the same teaching quality level and pay the same tuition fees.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via delle Pandette 9 50127 - Firenze - Italy|
Phone: +39 055 2759582
Web page: http://www.disei.unifi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Hindriks & Gareth D. Myles, 2006.
"Intermediate Public Economics,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262083442, June.
- Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard E, 1998. "Competition between Private and Public Schools, Vouchers, and Peer-Group Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 33-62, March.
- Kemnitz, Alexander, 2003.
"Funding, Competition and Quality in Higher Education,"
610, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Alexander Kemnitz, 2004. "Funding, Competition And Quality In Higher Education," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 130, Royal Economic Society.
- DEL REY, Elena, 2000.
"Teaching versus research: a model of state university competition,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2000030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rey, Elena Del, 2001. "Teaching versus Research: A Model of State University Competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 356-373, March.
- DEL REY, Elena, . "Teaching versus research: a model of state university competition," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1501, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- De Fraja, Gianni & Valbonesi, Paola, 2008.
"The Design of the University System,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7038, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & André Sapir, 2010.
"The governance and performance of universities: evidence from Europe and the US,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 25, pages 7-59, 01.
- Aghion, Philippe & Dewatripont, Mathias & Hoxby, Caroline & Mas-Colell, Andreu & Sapir, Andreu, 2010. "The governance and performance of universities: evidence from Europe and the US," Scholarly Articles 12502061, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & André Sapir, 2010. "The governance and performance of universities: Evidence from Europe and the US," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/167268, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Tania Oliveira, 2006. "Tuition fees and admission standards: how do public and private universities really compete for students?," Discussion Papers in Economics 06/6, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- De Fraja, Gianni & Iossa, Elisabetta, 2002. "Competition among Universities and the Emergence of the Elite Institution," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 275-93, July.
- Reinhilde Veugelers & Frederick Van der Ploeg, 2008. "Reforming European Universities: Scope for an Evidence-Based Process," CESifo Working Paper Series 2298, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dennis Epple & Richard Romano, 2002.
"Educational Vouchers and Cream Skimming,"
NBER Working Papers
9354, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- GAUTIER, Axel & WAUTHY, Xavier, 2004.
"Teaching versus research: a multi-tasking approach to multi-department universities,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2004003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gautier, Axel & Wauthy, Xavier, 2007. "Teaching versus research: A multi-tasking approach to multi-department universities," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 273-295, February.
- Rothschild, Michael & White, Lawrence J, 1995. "The Analytics of the Pricing of Higher Education and Other Services in Which the Customers Are Inputs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(3), pages 573-86, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:frz:wpaper:wp2010_02.rdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giorgio Ricchiuti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.