Competition between State Universities
We analyse how state university competition to collect resources may affect both research and the quality of teaching. By considering a set-up where two state universities behave strategically, we model their interaction with potential students as a sequential noncooperative game. We show that different types of equilibrium may arise, depending on the mix of research and teaching supplied by each university, and the mix of low- and high-ability students attending each university. The most efficient equilibrium results in the creation of an élite institution attended only by high-ability students who enjoy a higher teaching quality but pay higher tuition fees.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Fraja, Gianni & Iossa, Elisabetta, 2002. "Competition among Universities and the Emergence of the Elite Institution," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 275-93, July.
- Tania Oliveira, 2006. "Tuition fees and admission standards: how do public and private universities really compete for students?," Discussion Papers in Economics 06/6, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Rothschild, Michael & White, Lawrence J, 1995. "The Analytics of the Pricing of Higher Education and Other Services in Which the Customers Are Inputs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(3), pages 573-586, June.
- Alexander Kemnitz, 2004.
"Funding, Competition And Quality In Higher Education,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
130, Royal Economic Society.
- Kemnitz, Alexander, 2003. "Funding, Competition and Quality in Higher Education," Discussion Papers 610, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- GAUTIER, Axel & WAUTHY, Xavier, 2004.
"Teaching versus research: a multi-tasking approach to multi-department universities,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2004003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gautier, Axel & Wauthy, Xavier, 2007. "Teaching versus research: A multi-tasking approach to multi-department universities," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 273-295, February.
- DEL REY, Elena, .
"Teaching versus research: a model of state university competition,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1501, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rey, Elena Del, 2001. "Teaching versus Research: A Model of State University Competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 356-373, March.
- DEL REY, Elena, 2000. "Teaching versus research: a model of state university competition," CORE Discussion Papers 2000030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Reinhilde Veugelers & Frederick Van der Ploeg, 2008. "Reforming European Universities: Scope for an Evidence-Based Process," CESifo Working Paper Series 2298, CESifo Group Munich.
- De Fraja, Gianni & Valbonesi, Paola, 2008.
"The Design of the University System,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7038, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hindriks, Jean & Myles, Gareth D., 2013.
"Intermediate Public Economics,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262018691, March.
- Dennis Epple & Richard Romano, 2008.
"Educational Vouchers And Cream Skimming,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1395-1435, November.
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & André Sapir, 2010.
"The governance and performance of universities: Evidence from Europe and the US,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/167268, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Philippe Aghion & Mathias Dewatripont & Caroline Hoxby & Andreu Mas-Colell & André Sapir, 2010. "The governance and performance of universities: evidence from Europe and the US," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 25, pages 7-59, 01.
- Aghion, Philippe & Dewatripont, Mathias & Hoxby, Caroline & Mas-Colell, Andreu & Sapir, Andreu, 2010. "The governance and performance of universities: evidence from Europe and the US," Scholarly Articles 12502061, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard E, 1998. "Competition between Private and Public Schools, Vouchers, and Peer-Group Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 33-62, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_3373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.