Socioeconomic Determinants of Child Health - Empirical Evidence from Indonesia
This paper characterizes the socioeconomic determinants of child health using height-for-age z-score (HAZ) - a long-run measure of chronic nutritional deficiency. We construct a panel data set that follows children between 3 and 59 months in 1993 through the 1997 and 2000 waves of the Indonesian Family Life Survey. We use this data to identify the various child level, household level and community level factors that affect childrenâ€™s health. Our findings indicate that household income has a large and statistically significant role in explaining improvements in HAZ. We also find a strong positive association between parental height and HAZ. At the community level, we find that provision of electricity and availability of a paved road is positively associated with improvements in HAZ. Finally, in comparison to community level factors, household level characteristics have a large role in explaining the variation in HAZ. These findings suggest that policies that address the demand side constraints will have a greater potential to improve children's health outcomes in the future.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.fordham.edu/economics/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Veerle Miranda, 2011. "Cooking, Caring and Volunteering: Unpaid Work Around the World," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 116, OECD Publishing.
- Hoddinott, John & Kinsey, Bill, 2001. " Child Growth in the Time of Drought," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(4), pages 409-36, September.
- Thomas, D. & Strauss, J., 1990.
"Prices, Infrastructure, Household Charasteristics And Child Height,"
602, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Thomas, Duncan & Strauss, John, 1992. "Prices, infrastructure, household characteristics and child height," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 301-331, October.
- Barrera, Albino, 1990. "The interactive effects of mother's scholling and unsupplemented breastfeeding on child health," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 81-98, November.
- Thomas, Duncan & Strauss, John & Henriques, Maria-Helena, 1990. "Child survival, height for age and household characteristics in Brazil," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 197-234, October.
- Jere R. Behrman & Emmanuel Skoufias, 2004.
"Correlates and Determinants of Child Anthropometrics in Latin America: Background and Overview of the Symposium,"
Research Department Publications
3191, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Behrman, Jere R. & Skoufias, Emmanuel, 2004. "Correlates and determinants of child anthropometrics in Latin America: background and overview of the symposium," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 335-351, December.
- Thomas, D. & Strauss, J., 1997.
"Health and Wages: Evidence on Men and Women in Urban Brazil,"
97-05, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Thomas, Duncan & Strauss, John, 1997. "Health and wages: Evidence on men and women in urban Brazil," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 159-185, March.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, August.
- Glick, Peter & Sahn, David E, 1998. "Maternal Labour Supply and Child Nutrition in West Africa," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 60(3), pages 325-55, August.
- John A. Maluccio & John Hoddinott & Jere R. Behrman & Reynaldo Martorell & Agnes R. Quisumbing & Aryeh D. Stein, 2009. "The Impact of Improving Nutrition During Early Childhood on Education among Guatemalan Adults," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 734-763, 04.
- Sahn, David E, 1994. "The Contribution of Income to Improved Nutrition in Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 3(1), pages 29-61, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:frd:wpaper:dp2013-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fordham Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.