What determines public expenditure allocations?: A review of theories, and implications for agricultural public investments
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Dunleavy, Patrick, 1985. "Bureaucrats, Budgets and the Growth of the State: Reconstructing an Instrumental Model," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 299-328, July.
- Dunne, J. P. & Smith, R. P., 1983. "The allocative efficiency of government expenditure: Some comparative tests," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-3), pages 381-394, January.
- Pack, Howard & Pack, Janet Rothenberg, 1990. "Is Foreign Aid Fungible? The Case of Indonesia," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 188-194, March.
- Rausser, Gordon C & Freebairn, John W, 1974.
"Estimation of Policy Preference Functions: An Application to U.S. Beef Import Quotas,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(4), pages 437-449, November.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Freebairn, J.W., 1972. "Estimation Of Policy Preference Functions : An Application To U.S. Beef Import Quotas," 1972 Annual Meeting, August 20-23, Gainesville, Florida 284617, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Russett, Bruce M., 1969. "Who Pays for Defense?1," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 63(2), pages 412-426, June.
- Hans P. Binswanger & Klaus Deininger, 1997.
"Explaining Agricultural and Agrarian Policies in Developing Countries,"
Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(4), pages 1958-2005, December.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus, 1997. "Explaining agricultural and agrarian policies in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1765, The World Bank.
- Fernandez, Raquel & Rodrik, Dani, 1991. "Resistance to Reform: Status Quo Bias in the Presence of Individual-Specific Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1146-1155, December.
- Ritva Reinikka & Jakob Svensson, 2004. "Local Capture: Evidence from a Central Government Transfer Program in Uganda," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(2), pages 679-705.
- E. Omuru & R. Kingwell, 2006. "Funding and managing agricultural research in a developing country: A Papua New Guinea case study," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 316-330, April.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Ricard Gil & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2004.
"Do Democracies Have Different Public Policies than Nondemocracies?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 51-74, Winter.
- Casey B. Mulligan & Xavier Sala-i-Martin & Ricard Gil, 2003. "Do Democracies Have Different Public Policies than Nondemocracies?," NBER Working Papers 10040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Morris, Michael & Freinkman, Lev & Adubi, Abimbola & Simeon, Ehui & Nwoko, Chinedum & Taiwo, Olufemi & Nege, Caroline & Okonji, Patrick & Chete, Louis, 2008. "Agricultural public spending in Nigeria:," IFPRI discussion papers 789, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- George Tridimas, 1999. "A Demand-Theoretic Analysis of Public Consumption Priorities in the United Kingdom," Public Finance Review, , vol. 27(6), pages 599-623, November.
- Birner, Regina & Resnick, Danielle, 2010. "The Political Economy of Policies for Smallholder Agriculture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1442-1452, October.
- Clara Delavallade, 2006. "Corruption and distribution of public spending in developing countries," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 30(2), pages 222-239, June.
- Swaroop, Vinaya & Jha, Shikha & Sunil Rajkumar, Andrew, 2000. "Fiscal effects of foreign aid in a federal system of governance: The case of India," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 307-330, September.
- Tridimas, George, 2001. "The Economics and Politics of the Structure of Public Expenditure," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 106(3-4), pages 299-316, March.
- Beghin, John C & Kherallah, Mylene, 1994.
"Political Institutions and International Patterns of Agricultural Protection,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 482-489, August.
- Beghin, John C. & Kherallah, Mylene, 1991. "Political Institutions and International Patterns of Agricultural Protection," Archive 259512, North Carolina State University, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Beghin, John C. & Kherallah, Mylene, 1994. "Political Institutions and International Patterns of Agricultural Protection," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1602, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Yu, Bingxin & Fan, Shenggen & McBride, Linden, 2012.
"The impacts of public investment in and for agriculture: synthesis of the existing evidence,"
ESA Working Papers
288994, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Agricultural Development Economics Division (ESA).
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Yu, Bingxin & Fan, Shenggen & Mcbride, Linden, 2012. "The impacts of public investment in and for agriculture: Synthesis of the existing evidence," IFPRI discussion papers 1217, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Harry De Gorter & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 1998. "Impact of Economic Development on Commodity and Public Research Policies in Agriculture," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 41-60, February.
- Swinnen, Johan F. M. & Gorter, Harry de & Rausser, Gordon C. & Banerjee, Anurag N., 2000. "The political economy of public research investment and commodity policies in agriculture: an empirical study," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 111-122, March.
- Cowart, Andrew T. & Hansen, Tore & Brofoss, Karl-Erik, 1975. "Budgetary Strategies and Success at Multiple Decision Levels in the Norwegian Urban Setting," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 69(2), pages 543-558, June.
- Svensson, Jakob, 2000. "Foreign aid and rent-seeking," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 437-461, August.
- Malcolm D. Bale & Ernst Lutz, 1981. "Price Distortions in Agriculture and Their Effects: An International Comparison," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(1), pages 8-22.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Fan, Shenggen & Zhang, Linxiu & Huang, Jikun, 2004.
"Local governance and public goods provision in rural China,"
Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(12), pages 2857-2871, December.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Fan, Shenggen & Zhang, Linxiu & Huang, Jikun, 2002. "Local governance and public goods provision in rural China," EPTD discussion papers 93, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stephen Knack, 2001. "Aid Dependence and the Quality of Governance: Cross-Country Empirical Tests," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 310-329, October.
- Deacon, Robert T, 1978. "A Demand Model for the Local Public Sector," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 184-192, May.
- David S. Bullock, 1994. "In Search of Rational Government: What Political Preference Function Studies Measure and Assume," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(3), pages 347-361.
- Natchez, Peter B. & Bupp, Irvin C., 1973. "Policy and Priority in the Budgetary Process," American Political Science Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 67(3), pages 951-963, September.
- Alessandro Olper, 2001. "Determinants of Agricultural Protection: The Role of Democracy and Institutional Setting Alessandro Olper," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 75-92, May.
- Alston, Julian M. & Pardey, Philip G., 2001. "Attribution and other problems in assessing the returns to agricultural R&D," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 141-152, September.
- Reinikka, Ritva & Svensson, Jakob, 2006. "Using Micro-Surveys to Measure and Explain Corruption," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 359-370, February.
- Gary S. Becker, 1983. "A Theory of Competition Among Pressure Groups for Political Influence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(3), pages 371-400.
- Zimmermann, Roukayatou & Brüntrup, Michael & Kolavalli, Shashidhara & Flaherty, Kathleen, 2009. "Agricultural policies in Sub-Saharan Africa: understanding CAADP and APRM policy processes," Studies, German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE), volume 48, number 48.
- James H. Lebovic, 2001. "Spending Priorities and Democratic Rule in Latin America," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 45(4), pages 427-452, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Annalisa Prizzon & Romilly Greenhill & Shakira Mustapha, 2017. "An ‘age of choice’ for external development finance? Evidence from country case studies," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 35, pages 29-45, July.
More about this item
KeywordsPolitical economy; Agricultural Investment; Public investment; Governance; budget process;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-12-15 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-CWA-2012-12-15 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-HME-2012-12-15 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-POL-2012-12-15 (Positive Political Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:1216. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ifprius.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.