Regional business cycle phases in Japan
This paper uses a Markov-switching model with structural breaks to characterize and compare regional business cycles in Japan for 1976-2005. An early 1990s structural break meant a reduction in national and regional growth rates in expansion and recession, usually resulting in an increase in the spread between the two phases. Although recessions tended to be experienced across a majority of regions throughout the sample period, the occurrence and lengths of recessions at the regional level have increased over time.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, January/February 2007, 89(1), pp. 61-76|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000.
"Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1164, Econometric Society.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002. "Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Michael T. Owyang & Jeremy M. Piger & Howard J. Wall, 2004.
"Business cycle phases in U.S. states,"
2003-011, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Charles R. Nelson, 1999. "State-Space Models with Regime Switching: Classical and Gibbs-Sampling Approaches with Applications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262112388.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Michael T. Owyang & Howard J. Wall, 2006.
"Regional VARs and the channels of monetary policy,"
2006-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Toshiaki Watanabe & Hirokuni Uchiyama, 2005.
"Structural Change in Japanese Business Fluctuations and Nikkei 225 Stock Index Futures Transactions,"
Finance Working Papers
22318, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Toshiaki Watanabe & Hirokuni Uchiyama, 2005. "Structural Change in Japanese Business Fluctuations and Nikkei 225 Stock Index Futures Transactions," Public Policy Review, Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, vol. 1(1), pages 19-32, March.
- Watanabe, Toshiaki, 2003. "Measuring Business Cycle Turning Points in Japan with a Dynamic Markov Switching Factor Model," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 21(1), pages 35-68, February.
- Gerald Carlino & Robert Defina, 1998. "The Differential Regional Effects Of Monetary Policy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 572-587, November.
- Chauvet, Marcelle, 1998. "An Econometric Characterization of Business Cycle Dynamics with Factor Structure and Regime Switching," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 969-96, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2006-053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.