Using the Dynamic Bi-Factor Model with Markov Switching to Predict the Cyclical Turns in the Large European Economies
The appropriately selected leading indicators can substantially improve the forecasting of the peaks and troughs of the business cycle. Using the novel methodology of the dynamic bi-factor model with Markov switching and the data for the three largest European economies (France, Germany, and UK) we construct a composite leading indicator (CLI) and a composite coincident indicator (CCI) as well as corresponding recession probabilities. We estimate also a rival model of the Markov-switching VAR in order to see, which of the two models brings better outcomes. The recession data derived from these models are compared to three reference chronologies: those of OECD and ECRI (growth cycles) and those obtained with quarterly Bry-Boschan procedure (classical cycles). Dynamic bi-factor model and MSVAR appear to predict the cyclical turning points equally well without systematic superiority of one model over another.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diebold, Francis X & Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1996.
"Measuring Business Cycles: A Modern Perspective,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 67-77, February.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1988. "A Probability Model of The Coincident Economic Indicators," NBER Working Papers 2772, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2002:i:26:p:1-18 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chauvet, Marcelle, 2002. "The Brazilian Business and Growth Cycles," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 56(1), January.
- Chauvet, Marcelle, 1998. "An Econometric Characterization of Business Cycle Dynamics with Factor Structure and Regime Switching," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 969-96, November.
- Konstantin Kholodilin, 2001. "Latent Leading and Coincident Factors Model with Markov-Switching Dynamics," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(7), pages 1-13.
- Harm Bandholz, 2005. "New Composite Leading Indicators for Hungary and Poland," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 3, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1987.
"Scoring the leading indicators,"
Special Studies Papers
206, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Phillips, Kerk L., 1991. "A two-country model of stochastic output with changes in regime," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 121-142, August.
- Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2002.
"Two Alternative Approaches to Modelling the Nonlinear Dynamics of the Composite Economic Indicator,"
AccessEcon, vol. 3(26), pages 1-18.
- Konstantin, KHOLODILIN, 2002. "Two Alternative Approaches to Modelling the Nonlinear Dynamics of the Composite Economic Indicator," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2002027, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Sylvia Kaufmann, 2000. "Measuring business cycles with a dynamic Markov switching factor model: an assessment using Bayesian simulation methods," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 39-65.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002.
"Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000. "Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1164, Econometric Society.
- Kholodilin, Konstantin A. & Yao, Vincent W., 2005. "Measuring and predicting turning points using a dynamic bi-factor model," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 525-537.
- Chang-Jin Kim & Charles R. Nelson, 1999. "State-Space Models with Regime Switching: Classical and Gibbs-Sampling Approaches with Applications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262112388, June.
- Kim, Chang-Jin, 1994.
"Dynamic linear models with Markov-switching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 1-22.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp554. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.