Debit card and cash usage: a cross-country analysis
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Markose, Sheri M & Loke, Yiing Jia, 2002. "Can cash hold its own? International comparisons: Theory and evidence," Economics Discussion Papers 3734, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Seitz, Franz & Fischer, Björn & Köhler, Petra, 2004. "The demand for euro area currencies: past, present and future," Working Paper Series 330, European Central Bank.
- Mathias Drehmann & Charles Goodhart & Malte Krueger, 2002. "The challenges facing currency usage: will the traditional transaction medium be able to resist competition from the new technologies?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(34), pages 193-228, April.
- Mark Armstrong, 2006. "Competition in two‐sided markets," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 668-691, September.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Triole, Jean, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Humphrey, David B & Pulley, Lawrence B & Vesala, Jukka M, 1996. "Cash, Paper, and Electronic Payments: A Cross-Country Analysis," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 914-939, November.
- Whitesell, William C, 1992. "Deposit Banks and the Market for Payment Media," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 24(4), pages 483-498, November.
- David B. Humphrey & Lawrence B. Pulley & Jukka M. Vesala, 1996. "Cash, paper, and electronic payments: a cross-country analysis," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 914-941.
- William J. Baumol, 1952. "The Transactions Demand for Cash: An Inventory Theoretic Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(4), pages 545-556.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," NBER Working Papers 11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sujit Chakravorti & Timothy McHugh, 2002. "Why do we use so many checks?," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q III, pages 44-59.
- Leo Van Hove, 2004. "Electronic Purses in Euroland: Why do Penetration and Usage Rates differ?," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2004/4 edited by Morten Balling, March.
- Leo van Hove, 2004. "Electronic Purses in Euroland: Why do Penetration and Usage Rates differ?," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Woodford, Michael, 2000. "Monetary Policy in a World without Money," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 229-260, July.
- Seitz, Franz, 1995. "The circulation of Deutsche Mark abroad," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 1995,01e, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Friedrich Schneider, 2006.
"Shadow Economies and Corruption all over the World: What do we really Know?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1806, CESifo Group Munich.
- Schneider, Friedrich, 2006. "Shadow Economies and Corruption All Over the World: What Do We Really Know?," IZA Discussion Papers 2315, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Friedrich G. Schneider, 2006. "Shadow Economies and Corruption all over the World: What do we really know?," Economics working papers 2006-17, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Schneider, Friedrich G., 2007. "Shadow economies and corruption all over the world: what do we really know?," Economics Discussion Papers 2007-9, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Shy, Oz & Tarkka, Juha, 2002. "The Market for Electronic Cash Cards," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 299-314, May.
- Duca, John V. & VanHoose, David D., 2004. "Recent developments in understanding the demand for money," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 247-272.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2005. "New Developments in Monetary Economics: Two ghosts, Two Eccentricities, a Fallacy, a Mirage and a Mythos," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(502), pages 1-31, March.
- Elizabeth C. Klee, 2006. "Families' use of payment instruments during a decade of change in the U.S. payment system," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-01, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Leo Van Hove, 2004. "Cost-based Pricing of Payment Instruments: the State of the Debate," De Economist, Springer, vol. 152(1), pages 79-100, March.
- Snellman, Heli & Virén, Matti, 2006. "ATM networks and cash usage," Research Discussion Papers 21/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1998. "Blessing or curse? Foreign and underground demand for euro notes," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 261-303, April.
- Richard D. Porter & Ruth Judson, 1996. "The location of U.S. currency: how much is abroad?," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 883-903.
- Sujit Chakravorti & Victor Lubasi, 2006. "Payment instrument choice: the case of prepaid cards," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 29-43.
- Benjamin M. Friedman, 1999. "The Future of Monetary Policy: The Central Bank as an Army With Only a Signal Corps," NBER Working Papers 7420, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friedman, Benjamin M, 1999. "The Future of Monetary Policy: The Central Bank as an Army with Only a Signal Corps?," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 321-338, November.
- Fernando Alvarez & Andrew Atkeson & Chris Edmond, 2003. "On the Sluggish Response of Prices to Money in an Inventory-Theoretic Model of Money Demand," NBER Working Papers 10016, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jan Cimburek & Pavel Řežábek, 2013. "Currency in Circulation: Reaction in Crises," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(3).
- Hyytinen Ari & Takalo Tuomas, 2009.
"Consumer Awareness and the Use of Payment Media: Evidence from Young Finnish Consumers,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-25, June.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Takalo, Tuomas, 2008. "Consumer awareness and the use of payment media : evidence from young finnish consumers," Research Discussion Papers 2/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Schuh, Scott & Stavins, Joanna, 2010.
"Why are (some) consumers (finally) writing fewer checks? The role of payment characteristics,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1745-1758, August.
- Scott Schuh & Joanna Stavins, 2009. "Why are (some) consumers (finally) writing fewer checks?: the role of payment characteristics," Working Papers 09-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Tobias Trütsch, 2014. "The Impact of Contactless Payment on Spending," International Journal of Economic Sciences, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2014(4), pages 70-98.
- Fujiki, Hiroshi & Tanaka, Migiwa, 2014. "Currency demand, new technology, and the adoption of electronic money: Micro evidence from Japan," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 5-8.
- Tobias Truetsch, 2014. "The Impact of Contactless Payment on Spending," Proceedings of International Academic Conferences 0702228, International Institute of Social and Economic Sciences.
- Łukasz Goczek & Bartosz Witkowski, 2015. "Determinants of the number of card transactions," Collegium of Economic Analysis Annals, Warsaw School of Economics, Collegium of Economic Analysis, issue 39, pages 199-212.
- Docherty, Peter & Wang, Gehong, 2010.
"Using synthetic data to evaluate the impact of RTGS on systemic risk in the Australian payments system,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 103-117, June.
- Peter Docherty & G Wang, 2006. "Using Synthetic Data to Measure the Impact of RTGS on Systemic Risk in the Australian Payments System," Working Paper Series 149, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- repec:bla:jorssc:v:66:y:2017:i:4:p:759-776 is not listed on IDEAS
- Łukasz Goczek & Bartosz Witkowski, 2015. "Card Payments in Poland: Determinants and Prospects," Gospodarka Narodowa, Warsaw School of Economics, issue 3, pages 159-177.
- Kopsakangas-Savolainen Maria & Takalo Tuomas, 2014.
"Competition Before Sunset: The Case of the Finnish ATM Market,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 13(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Kopsakangas-Savolainen, Maria & Takalo, Tuomas, 2012. "Competition before sunset : The case of the Finnish ATM market," Research Discussion Papers 32/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Hiroshi Fujiki & Migiwa Tanaka, 2009. "Demand for Currency, New Technology and the Adoption of Electronic Money: Evidence Using Individual Household Data," IMES Discussion Paper Series 09-E-27, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
More about this item
KeywordsDebit cards ; Cash flow ; Payment systems;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedhwp:wp-07-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbchus.html .