Commercializing Small Farms: Reducing Transaction Costs
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Birthal, Pratap S. & Joshi, P. K. & Gulati, Ashok, 2005. "Vertical coordination in high-value commodities," MTID discussion papers 85, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ahmed, Zia U., 1989. "Effective costs of rural loans in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 357-363, March.
- Prabhu L. Pingali, 1997. "From Subsistence to Commercial Production Systems: The Transformation of Asian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 628-634.
- Jill E. Hobbs, 1997. "Measuring the Importance of Transaction Costs in Cattle Marketing," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1083-1095.
- Rosegrant, Mark W. & Schleyer, Renato Gazmuri & Yadav, Satya N., 1995. "Water policy for efficient agricultural diversification: market-based approaches," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 203-223, June.
- Priya Deshingkar & Usha Kulkarni & Laxman Rao & Sreenivas Rao, 2003. "Changing Food Systems in India: Resourcesharing and Marketing Arrangements for Vegetable Production in Andhra Pradesh," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21(5-6), pages 627-639, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Herbert, Ainembabazi & Asten, Piet & Vanlauwe, Bernard & Ouma, Emily & Blomme, Guy & Birachi, Eliud & Manyong, Victor M. & Macharia, Ibrahim, 2015. "Improving the adoption of agricultural technologies and farm performance through farmer groups: Evidence from the Great Lakes Region of Africa," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 210939, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pingali, Prabhu, 2007.
"Westernization of Asian diets and the transformation of food systems: Implications for research and policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 281-298, June.
- Prabhu Pingali, 2004. "Westernization of Asian Diets and the Transformation of Food Systems: Implications for research and policy," Working Papers 04-17, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Lighton Dube & Revaux Numbwa & Emmanuel Guveya, 2016. "Determinants of crop diversification amongst agricultural co-operators in Dundwa agricultural camp, Choma district, Zambia," Asian Journal of Agriculture and rural Development, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 6(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Salil Bhattarai & Michael C. Lyne & Sandra K. Martin, 2015. "Analysing the robustness of spice chains in Nepal from a smallholder perspective," Asian Journal of Agriculture and rural Development, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 5(4), pages 88-102, April.
- Bhattari, Salil & Lyne, Michael & Martin, Sandra, 2013. "Analysing The Performance Of Two Export-Oriented Spice Chains In Nepal: Taking The Smallholder Perspective," 2013 Conference, August 28-30, 2013, Christchurch, New Zealand 160194, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Ratner, Blake D. & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela & Hellin, Jonathon & Mapedza, Everisto & Unruh, Jon D. & Veening, Wouter & Haglund, Eric & May, Candace & Bruch, Carl, 2013. "Addressing conflict through collective action in natural resource management:," CAPRi working papers 112, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Cuevas, Agham C., 2014. "Transaction Costs of Exchange in Agriculture: A Survey," Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), vol. 11(1), June.
- Collier, Paul & Dercon, Stefan, 2014. "African Agriculture in 50Years: Smallholders in a Rapidly Changing World?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 92-101.
- Hou, Jianyun & Huo, Xuexi, 2015. "Transaction Costs and Farm-to-Market Linkages: Empirical Evidence from China Apple Producers," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 211746, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ndoro, Jorine & Mudhara, Maxwell & Chimonyo, Michael & Hitayezu, Patrick, 2015. "Farmers' Choice of Cattle Marketing Channels in Rural South Africa: A Transaction Cost Economics Perspective," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212526, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Vellema, W. & Buritica Casanova, A. & Gonzalez, C. & D’Haese, M., 2015. "The effect of specialty coffee certification on household livelihood strategies and specialisation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 13-25.
- Ebata, Ayako & Velasco, Pamela & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2015. "Distance to market and farm-gate prices of staple beans in rural Nicaragua," Discussion Papers 197540, Georg-August-Universitaet Goettingen, GlobalFood, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
- Sharma, H.R., 2011. "Crop Diversification in Himachal Pradesh: Patterns, Determinants and Challenges," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 66(1).
- Ebata, Ayako & Pacheco, Pamela Alejandra & Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan von, 2015. "Distance to market and farm-gate prices of staple beans in rural Nicaragua," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 211582, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Valdes, Rodrigo & Von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan & Engler, Alejandra, 2015. "Transaction costs and trade liberalization: An empirical perspective from the MERCOSUR agreement," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 109-116.
- Birthal, Pratap S., 2008. "Linking Smallholder Livestock Producers to Markets: Issues and Approaches," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 63(1).
- Hellin, Jon & Lundy, Mark & Meijer, Madelon, 2009. "Farmer organization, collective action and market access in Meso-America," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 16-22, February.
- Edward Martey & Prince Etwire & Alexander Wiredu & Wilson Dogbe, 2014. "Factors influencing willingness to participate in multi-stakeholder platform by smallholder farmers in Northern Ghana: implication for research and development," Agricultural and Food Economics, Springer;Italian Society of Agricultural Economics (SIDEA), vol. 2(1), pages 1-15, December.
More about this item
KeywordsFood systems; Agricultural commercialization; Transaction costs; Small farmers; Policy.;
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2006-03-25 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2006-03-25 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-MKT-2006-03-25 (Marketing)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fao:wpaper:0508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/faoooit.html .