A nonlinear panel unit root test under cross section dependence
We propose a nonlinear heterogeneous unit root test for testing the null hypothesis of unitroots processes against the alternative that allows a proportion of units to be generated by globally stationary ESTAR processes and a remaining non-zero proportion to be generated by unit root processes. The proposed test is simple to apply and accommodates cross sectional dependence. Monte Carlo simulation shows that our test holds correct size and under the hypothesis that data are generated by globally stationary ESTAR processes has a better power than the recent test proposed in Pesaran (2005).An application to a panel of bilateral real exchange rate series with the US Dollar from the 11 major OECD countries is provided.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 1 69 47 71 77
Fax: +33 1 69 47 70 50
Web page: http://epee.univ-evry.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oded Galor & David N. Weil, 1998.
"Population, Technology, and Growth: From the Malthusian Regime to the Demographic Transition,"
98-1, Brown University, Department of Economics, revised 19 Aug 1998.
- Galor, Oded & Weil, David, 1998. "Population, Technology and Growth: From the Malthusian Regime to the Demographic Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1981, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Choi, In, 2001. "Unit root tests for panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-272, April.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 1997.
"Industrial Development, Technological Change, and Long-RunGrowth,"
97-10, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 1999. "Industrial development, technological change, and long-run growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 389-417, August.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Elisa Tosetti, 2011.
"Large panels with common factors and spatial correlation,"
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Tosetti, Elisa, 2011. "Large panels with common factors and spatial correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 182-202, April.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Elisa Tosetti, 2011. "Large panels with common factors and spatial correlation," Post-Print peer-00796743, HAL.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Tosetti, Elisa, 2007. "Large Panels with Common Factors and Spatial Correlations," IZA Discussion Papers 3032, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pesaran, M.H. & Tosetti, E., 2007. "Large Panels with Common Factors and Spatial Correlations," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0743, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Elisa Tosetti, 2007. "Large Panels with Common Factors and Spatial Correlations," CESifo Working Paper Series 2103, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-79, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cerrato, Mario & Sarantis, Nicholas, 2007. "A bootstrap panel unit root test under cross-sectional dependence, with an application to PPP," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 4028-4037, May.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- P. Newbold & S. J. Leybourne & R. Sollis & M. E. Wohar, 2001. "U.S. and U.K. Interest Rates 1890 - 1934: New Evidence on Structural Breaks," Trinity Economics Papers 20011, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- n/a, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 164, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Frank, Murray & Gencay, Ramazan & Stengos, Thanasis, 1988. "International chaos?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1569-1584, October.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Fiaschi, Davide & Lavezzi, Andrea Mario, 2007.
"Nonlinear economic growth: Some theory and cross-country evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 271-290, September.
- Davide Fiaschi & Andrea Mario Lavezzi, 2003. "Nonlinear Economic Growth: Some Theory and Cross-Country Evidence," Discussion Papers 2003/14, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eve:wpaper:07-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.