The Effects of Wind Generation Capacity on Electricity Prices and Generation Costs: a Monte Carlo Analysis
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Lynch & John Curtis, 2016. "The effects of wind generation capacity on electricity prices and generation costs: a Monte Carlo analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(2), pages 133-151, January.
References listed on IDEAS
- Ciarreta, Aitor & Espinosa, Maria Paz & Pizarro-Irizar, Cristina, 2014. "Is green energy expensive? Empirical evidence from the Spanish electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 205-215.
- Cludius, Johanna & Hermann, Hauke & Matthes, Felix Chr. & Graichen, Verena, 2014. "The merit order effect of wind and photovoltaic electricity generation in Germany 2008–2016: Estimation and distributional implications," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 302-313.
- Lynch, Muireann Á. & Shortt, Aonghus & Tol, Richard S.J. & O'Malley, Mark J., 2013.
"Risk–return incentives in liberalised electricity markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 598-608.
- Richard S.J. Tol & Muireann Lynch & Aonghus Shortt & Mark O’Malley, 2012. "Risk-Return Incentives in Liberalised Electricity Markets," Working Paper Series 4012, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Hiroux, C. & Saguan, M., 2010. "Large-scale wind power in European electricity markets: Time for revisiting support schemes and market designs?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3135-3145, July.
- Godby, Robert & Torell, Gregory L. & Coupal, Roger, 2014.
"Estimating the value of additional wind and transmission capacity in the rocky mountain west,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 22-48.
- Godby, Robert & Torell, Greg & Coupal, Roger, 2013. "Estimating the value of additional wind and transmission capacity in the rocky mountain west," MPRA Paper 44219, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Godby, Robert & Torell, Greg & Coupal, Roger, 2013. "Estimating the value of additional wind and transmission capacity in the rocky mountain west," MPRA Paper 47026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roger Coupal & Robert Godby & Greg Torell, 2013. "Estimating the Value of Additional Wind and Transmission Capacity in the Rocky Mountain West," EcoMod2013 5488, EcoMod.
- Tveten, Åsa Grytli & Bolkesjø, Torjus Folsland & Martinsen, Thomas & Hvarnes, Håvard, 2013. "Solar feed-in tariffs and the merit order effect: A study of the German electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 761-770.
- Carapellucci, Roberto & Giordano, Lorena, 2013. "A methodology for the synthetic generation of hourly wind speed time series based on some known aggregate input data," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 541-550.
- Forrest, Sam & MacGill, Iain, 2013. "Assessing the impact of wind generation on wholesale prices and generator dispatch in the Australian National Electricity Market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 120-132.
- repec:aen:journl:eeep4_1_valeri is not listed on IDEAS
- Mari, Carlo, 2014. "Hedging electricity price volatility using nuclear power," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 615-621.
- Ketterer, Janina C., 2014.
"The impact of wind power generation on the electricity price in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 270-280.
- Janina Ketterer, 2012. "The Impact of Wind Power Generation on the Electricity Price in Germany," ifo Working Paper Series 143, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Roques, Fabien & Hiroux, Céline & Saguan, Marcelo, 2010.
"Optimal wind power deployment in Europe--A portfolio approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3245-3256, July.
- Fabien Roques & Céline Hiroux & Marcelo Saguan, 2009. "Optimal Wind Power Deployment in Europe - a Portfolio Approach," RSCAS Working Papers 2009/17, European University Institute.
- F. Roques & C. Hiroux & M. Saguan, 2010. "Optimal wind power deployment in Europe-A portfolio approach," Post-Print hal-00716345, HAL.
- Paul Deane, John FitzGerald, Laura Malaguzzi Valeri, Aidan Tuohy and Darragh Walsh, 2015.
"Irish and British electricity prices: what recent history implies for future prices,"
Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1).
- Deane, Paul & FitzGerald, John & Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura & Tuohy, Aidan & Walsh, Darragh, 2014. "Irish and British Electricity Prices: What Recent History Implies for Future Prices," Papers RB2014/2/6, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Richard Green, 2007. "Nodal pricing of electricity: how much does it cost to get it wrong?," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 125-149, April.
- Gelabert, Liliana & Labandeira, Xavier & Linares, Pedro, 2011. "An ex-post analysis of the effect of renewables and cogeneration on Spanish electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(S1), pages 59-65.
- Yau, Sheena & Kwon, Roy H. & Scott Rogers, J. & Wu, Desheng, 2011. "Financial and operational decisions in the electricity sector: Contract portfolio optimization with the conditional value-at-risk criterion," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 67-77, November.
- Min, Daiki & Chung, Jaewoo, 2013. "Evaluation of the long-term power generation mix: The case study of South Korea's energy policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 1544-1552.
- Christensen, T.M. & Hurn, A.S. & Lindsay, K.A., 2012. "Forecasting spikes in electricity prices," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 400-411.
- Woo, C.K. & Horowitz, I. & Moore, J. & Pacheco, A., 2011. "The impact of wind generation on the electricity spot-market price level and variance: The Texas experience," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 3939-3944, July.
- repec:qut:auncer:2012_5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Simoglou, Christos K. & Biskas, Pandelis N. & Vagropoulos, Stylianos I. & Bakirtzis, Anastasios G., 2014. "Electricity market models and RES integration: The Greek case," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 531-542.
- Munksgaard, Jesper & Morthorst, Poul Erik, 2008. "Wind power in the Danish liberalised power market--Policy measures, price impact and investor incentives," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3940-3947, October.
- Awerbuch, Shimon, 2000. "Investing in photovoltaics: risk, accounting and the value of new technology," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(14), pages 1023-1035, November.
- Lion Hirth, 2013. "The Market Value of Variable Renewables. The Effect of Solar and Wind Power Variability on their Relative Price," RSCAS Working Papers 2013/36, European University Institute.
- Pereira, Sérgio & Ferreira, Paula & Vaz, A.I.F., 2014. "Short-term electricity planning with increase wind capacity," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 12-22.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, March.
- Chaudry, Modassar & Wu, Jianzhong & Jenkins, Nick, 2013. "A sequential Monte Carlo model of the combined GB gas and electricity network," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 473-483.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- McInerney, Celine & Bunn, Derek, 2013. "Valuation anomalies for interconnector transmission rights," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 565-578.
- Fouquet, Doerte & Johansson, Thomas B., 2008. "European renewable energy policy at crossroads--Focus on electricity support mechanisms," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4079-4092, November.
- Adriaan Weijde & Benjamin Hobbs, 2011.
"Locational-based coupling of electricity markets: benefits from coordinating unit commitment and balancing markets,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 223-251, June.
- van der Weijde, A.H. & Hobbs, B.F., 2010. "Locational-based Coupling of Electricity Markets: Benefits from Coordinating Unit Commitment and Balancing Markets," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1044, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Devine, Mel & Farrell, Niall & Lee, William, 2014. "Managing investor and consumer exposure to electricity market price risks through Feed-in Tariff design," MPRA Paper 59208, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roques, Fabien A. & Newbery, David M. & Nuttall, William J., 2008. "Fuel mix diversification incentives in liberalized electricity markets: A Mean-Variance Portfolio theory approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1831-1849, July.
- Seán Diffney & John Fitz Gerald & Seán Lyons & Laura Malaguzzi Valeri, 2009. "Investment in electricity infrastructure in a small isolated market: the case of Ireland," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 469-487, Autumn.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Milstein, Irena & Tishler, Asher, 2011. "Intermittently renewable energy, optimal capacity mix and prices in a deregulated electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 3922-3927, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Curtis, John & Lynch, Muireann Á. & Zubiate, Laura, 2016.
"The impact of the North Atlantic Oscillation on electricity markets: A case study on Ireland,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 186-198.
- Curtis, John & Lynch, Muireann Á. & Zubiate, Laura, 2015. "The Impact of the North Atlantic Oscillation on Electricity Markets: A Case Study on Ireland," Papers WP509, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Seljom, Pernille & Lindberg, Karen Byskov & Tomasgard, Asgeir & Doorman, Gerard & Sartori, Igor, 2017. "The impact of Zero Energy Buildings on the Scandinavian energy system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 284-296.
- Curtis, John & Lynch, Muireann Á. & Zubiate, Laura, 2016. "The Impact of the North Atlantic Oscillation on Electricity Markets: A case study on Ireland," Papers RB2016/3/5, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Lynch, Muireann A, 2017. "Re-evaluating Irish energy policy in light of brexit," Research Notes RN20170201, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- repec:esr:forcas:qec20172 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp494. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/esriiie.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.