The Determinants of Mode of Transport to Work in the Greater Dublin Area
Rapid economic and demographic change in the Greater Dublin Area over the last decade, with associated increases in car dependence and congestion, has focused policy on encouraging more sustainable forms of travel. In this context, knowledge of current travel patterns and their determinants is crucial. Here we concentrate on travel for a specific journey purpose, namely the journey to work. We employ cross-section micro-data from the 2006 Census of Population to analyse the influence of travel and supply-side characteristics, as well as demographic and socio-economic characteristics on the choice of mode of transport to work in the Greater Dublin Area.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ieEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hensher & William Greene, 2003. "The Mixed Logit model: The state of practice," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 133-176, May.
- Mayor, Karen & Lyons, Seán & Duffy, David & Tol, Richard S. J., 2008.
"A Hedonic Analysis of the Value of Rail Transport in the Greater Dublin Area,"
WP264, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Karen Mayor & Seán Lyons & David Duffy & Richard S. J. Tol, 2012. "A Hedonic Analysis of the Value of Rail Transport in the Greater Dublin Area," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 46(2), pages 239-261, May.
- J. A. Hausman & D. A. Wise, 1976.
"A Conditional Profit Model for Qualitative Choice: Discrete Decisions Recognizing Interdependence and Heterogeneous Preferences,"
173, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Wise, David A, 1978. "A Conditional Probit Model for Qualitative Choice: Discrete Decisions Recognizing Interdependence and Heterogeneous Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(2), pages 403-26, March.
- Raquel Espino & Concepción Román & Juan Ortúzar, 2006. "Analysing Demand for Suburban Trips: A Mixed RP/SP Model with Latent Variables and Interaction Effects," Transportation, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 241-261, 05.
- Train, Kenneth, 1980. "A Structured Logit Model of Auto Ownership and Mode Choice," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 357-70, January.
- Kingham, S. & Dickinson, J. & Copsey, S, 2001. "Travelling to work: will people move out of their cars," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 151-160, April.
- Olof Johansson-Stenman, 2002.
"Estimating individual driving distance by car and public transport use in Sweden,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(8), pages 959-967.
- Johansson-Stenman, Olof, 2001. "Estimating individual driving distance by car and public transport use in Sweden," Working Papers in Economics 36, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Eymann, Angelika & Ronning, Gerd, 1997. "Microeconometric models of tourists' destination choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 735-761, November.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Pulugurta, Vamsi, 1998. "A comparison of two alternative behavioral choice mechanisms for household auto ownership decisions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 61-75, January.
- Edgar Morgenroth, 2002. "Commuting in Ireland: An Analysis of Inter-County Commuting Flows," Papers WP144, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- John G. Cragg & Russell S. Uhler, 1970. "The Demand for Automobiles," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 3(3), pages 386-406, August.
- Lave, Charles A, 1970. "The Demand for Urban Mass Transportation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(3), pages 320-23, August.
- Nolan, Anne, 2002. "The Determinants of Urban Households' Transport Decisions: A Microeconometric Study using Irish Data," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 150, Royal Economic Society.
- Javier Asensio, 2002. "Transport Mode Choice by Commuters to Barcelona's CBD," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 39(10), pages 1881-1895, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.