Comparing the Determinants of Mode Choice across Travel Purposes
This paper considers travel mode choice for a range of journey purposes in Ireland using micro-data for 2009. Results suggest that demographic and socio-economic variables, location and public transport availability are important determinants of mode choice. The results also indicate an attachment to the car as a mode of transport for non-commuting journeys when available, and especially when used regularly for work journeys. Importantly, the determinants of mode choice are found to differ across journey purposes suggesting that it is not valid to generalise the results from studies considering only one journey purpose.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maat, Kees & Timmermans, Harry J.P., 2009. "Influence of the residential and work environment on car use in dual-earner households," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 654-664, August.
- Curtis, John, 2012. "The Environment Review 2012," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number RS26.
- Colin Pooley & Duncan Whyatt & Marion Walker & Gemma Davies & Paul Coulton & Will Bamford, 2010. "Understanding the school journey: integrating data on travel and environment," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 42(4), pages 948-965, April.
- Keemin Sohn & Jiyoung Yun, 2009. "Separation of car-dependent commuters from normal-choice riders in mode-choice analysis," Transportation, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 423-436, July.
- Murphy, Enda, 2009. "Excess commuting and modal choice," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(8), pages 735-743, October.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 1998. "Analysis of travel mode and departure time choice for urban shopping trips," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 361-371, August.
- Commins, Nicola & Nolan, Anne, 2011.
"The determinants of mode of transport to work in the Greater Dublin Area,"
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 259-268, January.
- Commins, Nicola & Nolan, Anne, 2008. "The Determinants of Mode of Transport to Work in the Greater Dublin Area," Papers WP268, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Nicola Commins & Anne Nolan, 2010.
"Car Ownership and Mode of Transport to Work in Ireland,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 41(1), pages 43-75.
- Commins, Nicola & Nolan, Anne, 2009. "Car Ownership and Mode of Transport to Work in Ireland," Papers WP310, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- J. Scott Long & Jeremy Freese, 2006. "Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables using Stata, 2nd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 2, number long2, September.
- Hensher, David A. & Rose, John M., 2007. "Development of commuter and non-commuter mode choice models for the assessment of new public transport infrastructure projects: A case study," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 428-443, June.
- Vega, Amaya & Reynolds-Feighan, Aisling, 2009. "A methodological framework for the study of residential location and travel-to-work mode choice under central and suburban employment destination patterns," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 401-419, May.
- David Hensher & April Reyes, 2000. "Trip chaining as a barrier to the propensity to use public transport," Transportation, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 341-361, December.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, Junio.
- Timo Ohnmacht & Konrad Götz & Helmut Schad, 2009. "Leisure mobility styles in Swiss conurbations: construction and empirical analysis," Transportation, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 243-265, March.
- Amaya Vega & Aisling Reynolds-Feighan, 2008. "Employment Sub-centres and Travel-to-Work Mode Choice in the Dublin Region," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 45(9), pages 1747-1768, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46034. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.