Commuting in Ireland: An Analysis of Inter-County Commuting Flows
Commuting has become a much discussed policy issue in Ireland, as a consequence of a significant increase in the number of commuters and car users and the resulting increase in congestion. Despite this interest in commuting there has been little research on the causes of the increase in commuting and the pattern of commuting. This paper proposes a simple framework which links the decision of individuals to commute with the housing market, the labour market and commuting costs. Furthermore this paper investigates the empirical validity of the main predictions of this simple framework using a new data set on inter county commuting flows. The findings of the empirical analysis offer support for the analytical framework. Thus, relative wages and relative house prices between counties are important factors in determining commuting choice.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2|
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bloemen, H.G., 1992.
"Job search theory, labour supply and unemployment duration,"
1992-50, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bloemen, Hans G., 1997. "Job search theory, labour supply and unemployment duration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 305-325, August.
- Bloemen, H.G., 1992. "Job Search Theory, Labour Supply and Unemployment Duration," Papers 9250, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Morgenroth, Edgar, 2005. "Analysis of the Economic Employment and Social Profile of the Greater Dublin Region," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number BMI161.
- McCoy, Daniel & Duffy, David & MacCoille, C, 2001. "Quarterly Economic Commentary, July 2001," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number QEC20012, April.
- Rouwendal, Jan, 1999. "Spatial job search and commuting distances," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 491-517, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.