Knowledge Spillover Agents and Regional Development
It is widely recognised that knowledge and highly skilled individuals as “carriers” of knowledge (i.e. knowledge spillover agents) play a key role in impelling the development and growth of cities and regions. In this paper we discuss the relation between the mobility of talent and knowledge flows. In this context, several issues are examined, including the role of highly skilled labour for regional development, the features that characterise knowledge spillovers through labour mobility, the key factors for attracting and retaining talent as well as the rise of “brain gain” policies. Although the paper deals with highly skilled mobility and migration in general, a particular attention will be paid to flows of (star) scientists.
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||DYNREG Research Project – Dynamic Regions in a Knowledge-Driven Global Economy: Lessons and Policy Implications for the European Union|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2|
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michaela Trippl & Franz Todtling, 2007. "Developing Biotechnology Clusters in Non-high Technology Regions—The Case of Austria," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 47-67.
- Annalee Saxenian, 2002. "Transnational Communities and the Evolution of Global Production Networks: The Cases of Taiwan, China and India," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 183-202.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004.
"Cities and Cultures,"
2004.92, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ajay Agrawal & Iain Cockburn & John McHale, 2003. "Gone But Not Forgotten: Labor Flows, Knowledge Spillovers, and Enduring Social Capital," NBER Working Papers 9950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Franz Tödtling & Patrick Lehner & Michaela Trippl, 2005. "Innovation in knowledge intensive industries: The nature and geography of knowledge links," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 1035-1058, September.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2006.
"The economic value of cultural diversity: evidence from US cities,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 9-44, January.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Peri, Giovanni, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," CEPR Discussion Papers 4233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," Working Papers 2004.34, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," CESifo Working Paper Series 1117, CESifo Group Munich.
- GianMarco Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US cities," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 91, Econometric Society.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," NBER Working Papers 10904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Argote, Linda & Ingram, Paul, 2000. "Knowledge Transfer: A Basis for Competitive Advantage in Firms," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 150-169, May.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufí, 2005.
"Education, migration, and job satisfaction: the regional returns of human capital in the EU,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 5(5), pages 545-566, October.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufi, 2004. "Education, Migration, and Job Ssatisfaction: the Regional Returns of Human Capital in the EU," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 1, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2006.
"People Flows in Globalization,"
NBER Working Papers
12315, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierpaolo Giannoccolo, 2005.
""Brain Drain Competition" Policies in Europe: a Survey,"
20060201, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica, revised Feb 2006.
- P. Giannoccolo, 2005. "Brain Drain Competition Policies in Europe: a Survey," Working Papers 534, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Albert Saiz, 2003.
"The Rise of the Skilled City,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2025, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Döring, Thomas & Schnellenbach, Jan, 2004.
"What Do We Know About Geographical Knowledge Spillovers and Regional Growth? A Survey of the Literature,"
14, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Thomas Doring & Jan Schnellenbach, 2006. "What do we know about geographical knowledge spillovers and regional growth?: A survey of the literature," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 375-395.
- Vijay K. Mathur & Sheldon H. Stein, 2005. "Do amenities matter in attracting knowledge workers for regional economic development?," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 251-269, 06.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby, 2006. "Movement of Star Scientists and Engineers and High-Tech Firm Entry," NBER Working Papers 12172, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jarle Moen, 2005.
"Is Mobility of Technical Personnel a Source of R&D Spillovers?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(1), pages 81-114, January.
- Jarle Møen, 2000. "Is Mobility of Technical Personnel a Source of R&D Spillovers?," NBER Working Papers 7834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ira Horowitz, 1966. "Some Aspects of the Effects of the Regional Distribution of Scientific Talent on Regional Economic Activity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 217-232, November.
- Thomas Straubhaar, 2001. "War for brains," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 36(5), pages 221-222, September.
- M. S. Gertler & Y. M. Levitte, 2005. "Local Nodes in Global Networks: The Geography of Knowledge Flows in Biotechnology Innovation," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 487-507.
- Høgni Kalsø, Hansen & Vang, Jan & Asheim, Bjørn, 2005. "The Creative Class and Regional Growth: Towards a Knowledge Based Approach," Papers in Innovation Studies 2005/15, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Jamie Peck, 2005. "Struggling with the Creative Class," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 740-770, December.
- Lydia Greunz, 2005. "Intra- and inter-regional knowledge spillovers: Evidence from European regions," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 449-473, April.
- Harald Bathelt & Andersand Malmberg & Peter Maskell, 2002. "Clusters and Knowledge Local Buzz, Global Pipelines and the Process of Knowledge Creation," DRUID Working Papers 02-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- David Coleman & Robert Rowthorn, 2004. "The Economic Effects of Immigration into the United Kingdom," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 30(4), pages 579-624.
- Ann Markusen, 2006. "Urban development and the politics of a creative class: evidence from a study of artists," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 38(10), pages 1921-1940, October.
- Eckey Hans-Friedrich & Türck Matthias & Kosfeld Reinhold, 2005. "Intra- und internationale Spillover-Effekte zwischen den EU-Regionen / Intra- and International Spillovers Across EU Regions," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 225(6), pages 600-621, December.
- Lori Rosenkopf & Paul Almeida, 2003. "Overcoming Local Search Through Alliances and Mobility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(6), pages 751-766, June.
- Davenport, Sally, 2004. "Panic and panacea: brain drain and science and technology human capital policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 617-630, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:dynreg16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.