Knowledge Spillover Agents and Regional Development: Spatial Distribution and Mobility of Star Scientists
It is widely recognised that knowledge and highly skilled individuals as “carriers” of knowledge (i.e. knowledge spillover agents) play a key role in impelling the development and growth of cities and regions. In this paper we discuss in a conceptual way the relation between spatial movements of talent and knowledge flows and present empirical results on the geography and mobility patterns of star scientists. Our findings show that these phenomena a highly uneven in nature, benefiting only a few countries which are capable to act as magnet for scientific talent.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||DYNREG Research Project – Dynamic Regions in a Knowledge-Driven Global Economy: Lessons and Policy Implications for the European Union|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2|
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2006.
"The economic value of cultural diversity: evidence from US cities,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 9-44, January.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," CESifo Working Paper Series 1117, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," NBER Working Papers 10904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- GianMarco Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US cities," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 91, Econometric Society.
- Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano & Giovanni Peri, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," Working Papers 2004.34, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Peri, Giovanni, 2004. "The Economic Value of Cultural Diversity: Evidence from US Cities," CEPR Discussion Papers 4233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Doring & Jan Schnellenbach, 2006.
"What do we know about geographical knowledge spillovers and regional growth?: A survey of the literature,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(3), pages 375-395.
- Döring, Thomas & Schnellenbach, Jan, 2004. "What Do We Know About Geographical Knowledge Spillovers and Regional Growth? A Survey of the Literature," Research Notes 14, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Jamie Peck, 2005. "Struggling with the Creative Class," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 740-770, December.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufi, 2004.
"Education, Migration, and Job Ssatisfaction: the Regional Returns of Human Capital in the EU,"
Bruges European Economic Research Papers
1, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufí, 2005. "Education, migration, and job satisfaction: the regional returns of human capital in the EU," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(5), pages 545-566, October.
- Pierpaolo Giannoccolo, 2005.
""Brain Drain Competition" Policies in Europe: a Survey,"
20060201, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica, revised Feb 2006.
- P. Giannoccolo, 2005. "ÒBrain Drain CompetitionÓ Policies in Europe: a Survey," Working Papers 534, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Ajay Agrawal & Iain Cockburn & John McHale, 2003. "Gone But Not Forgotten: Labor Flows, Knowledge Spillovers, and Enduring Social Capital," NBER Working Papers 9950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2006.
"People Flows in Globalization,"
NBER Working Papers
12315, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lydia Greunz, 2005. "Intra- and inter-regional knowledge spillovers: Evidence from European regions," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 449-473, April.
- Lori Rosenkopf & Paul Almeida, 2003. "Overcoming Local Search Through Alliances and Mobility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(6), pages 751-766, June.
- Høgni Kalsø, Hansen & Vang, Jan & Asheim, Bjørn, 2005. "The Creative Class and Regional Growth: Towards a Knowledge Based Approach," Papers in Innovation Studies 2005/15, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Albert Saiz, 2003.
"The rise of the skilled city,"
04-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Albert Saiz, 2003. "The Rise of the Skilled City," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2025, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Albert Saiz, 2003. "The Rise of the Skilled City," NBER Working Papers 10191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Coleman & Robert Rowthorn, 2004. "The Economic Effects of Immigration into the United Kingdom," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 30(4), pages 579-624.
- Harald Bathelt & Andersand Malmberg & Peter Maskell, 2002. "Clusters and Knowledge Local Buzz, Global Pipelines and the Process of Knowledge Creation," DRUID Working Papers 02-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco I.P. & Peri, Giovanni, 2005.
"Cities and cultures,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 304-337, September.
- Mark Boyle, 2006. "Culture in the Rise of Tiger Economies: Scottish Expatriates in Dublin and the 'Creative Class' Thesis," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 403-426, 06.
- M. S. Gertler & Y. M. Levitte, 2005. "Local Nodes in Global Networks: The Geography of Knowledge Flows in Biotechnology Innovation," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 487-507.
- Ann Markusen, 2006. "Urban development and the politics of a creative class: evidence from a study of artists," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 38(10), pages 1921-1940, October.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby, 2006. "Movement of Star Scientists and Engineers and High-Tech Firm Entry," NBER Working Papers 12172, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ira Horowitz, 1966. "Some Aspects of the Effects of the Regional Distribution of Scientific Talent on Regional Economic Activity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 217-232, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:dynreg17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.