Towards a multi purpose framework for tax benefit microsimulation
This paper introduces a generalised model building platform (MMEANS) for implementing and using tax-benefit microsimulation models. It is designed to aid in the construction of single- and multi-country tax- benefit models by providing all essential components and a system by which these can be parameterised and combined into a full model. We explain the conceptual and computational issues arising in the design and development of MMEANS. One application of the software has been to construct EUROMOD, a 15 country European tax-benefit model (Immervoll et al., 1999; Sutherland, 2001). However, we argue that, apart from its direct usefulness for this model, MMEANS can be used as a general software tool for microsimulation model building.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)1206 872957
Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/euromod/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Immervoll, Herwig & O'Donoghue, Cathal, 2002.
"Welfare benefits and work incentives: an analysis of the distribution of net replacement rates in Europe using EUROMOD, a multi-country microsimulation model,"
EUROMOD Working Papers
EM4/01, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Herwig Immervoll & Cathal O'Donoghue, 2003. "Welfare Benefits and Work Incentives. An Analysis of the Distribution of Net Replacement Rates in Europe using EUROMOD, a Multi- Country Microsimulation Model," Labor and Demography 0302001, EconWPA.
- Klevmarken, N. A., 1997. "Modelling Behavioural Response in EUROMOD," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9720, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Sutherland, Holly, 1991. "Constructing a Tax-Benefit Model: What Advice Can One Give?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(2), pages 199-219, June.
- Frédéric Berger & Monique Borsenberger & Herwig Immervoll & Julie Lumen & Bertrand Scholtus & Klaas DeVos, 2003.
"The Impact Of Tax-Benefit Systems On Lowincome Households In The Benelux Countries. A Simulation Approach Using Synthetic Datasets,"
0302003, EconWPA, revised 07 Feb 2003.
- Berger, Frederic & Borsenberger, Monique & Immervoll, Herwig & Lumen, Julie & Scholtus, Bertrand & de Vos, Klaas, 2001. "The Impact of Tax-Benefit Systems on Low-Income Households in the Benelux Countries. A Simulation Approach Using Synthetic Datasets," EUROMOD Working Papers EM3/01, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Immervoll, Herwig & O'Donoghue, Cathal, 2001.
"Imputation of gross amounts from net incomes in household surveys: an application using EUROMOD,"
EUROMOD Working Papers
EM1/01, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Herwig Immervoll & Cathal O'Donoghue, 2003. "Imputation of Gross Amounts from Net Incomes in Household Surveys. An Application using EUROMOD," Computational Economics 0302001, EconWPA.
- Callan, Tim & Sutherland, Holly, 1997. "The impact of comparable policies in European countries: Microsimulation approaches," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 627-633, April.
- Sutherland, Holly & Immervoll, Herwig & O'Donoghue, Cathal, 1999. "An introduction to EUROMOD," EUROMOD Working Papers EM0/99, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Sutherland, H., 1995. "Static Microsimulation Models in Europe: A Survey," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9523, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- David Piachaud & Holly Sutherland, 2000.
"How Effective is the British Governments Attempt to Reduce Child Poverty?,"
case38, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Holly Sutherland & David Piachaud, 2000. "How Effective is the British Government's Attempt to Reduce Child Poverty?," Papers inwopa00/6, Innocenti Working Papers.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521632249 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bourguignon, F. & O'Donoghue, C. & Sastre-Descals, J. & Spadaro, A. & Utili, F., 1997.
"Eur 3: A Prototype European Tax-Benefit Model,"
DELTA Working Papers
97-30, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- A. W. Coats, 1996. "Introduction," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 28(5), pages 3-11, Supplemen.
- Merz, Joachim, 1991. "Microsimulation -- A survey of principles, developments and applications," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-104, May.
- Immervoll, H., 2000. "Fiscal Drag - An Automatic Stabiliser?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0025, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Hancock, Ruth, 1997. "Computing Strategy for a European Tax-Benefit Model," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9724, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Bouguignon, F. & Chiappori, P. A., 1988. "What do we learn about tax reform from international comparisons? France and Britain," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 343-352, March.
- O'Donoghue, Cathal & Sutherland, Holly, 1999. "Accounting for the Family in European Income Tax Systems," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(5), pages 565-98, September.
- Julian McCrae, 1999. "The Development and Uses of Tax and Benefit Simulation Models," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 2(1), January.
- Cathal O'Donoghue, 2001. "Dynamic Microsimulation: A Methodological Survey," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 4(2), December.
- Sutherland, Holly, 2001. "EUROMOD: an integrated European benefit-tax model: final report," EUROMOD Working Papers EM9/01, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:emodwp:em2-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.