Toward a Consolidated Preferential Tariff Structure in East Asia: Going beyond ASEAN+1 FTAs
ASEAN countries are discussing a possible template for trade in goods chapter of so-called ASEAN++ FTA (also known as RCEP). Analyses of tariff structures under the current ASEAN+1 FTAs give insights on possible approaches as well as challenges in this discussion. To meet 90% or 95% tariff elimination thresholds, both ASEAN countries and their FTA partners should make further efforts. When a "common concession" approach, which we advocate in this paper, is applied, the challenge becomes even larger as member countries should focus their policy discretion on a more limited number of sensitive products. These challenges, on the other hand, mean room for additional gains for potential users of the new agreement despite the existence of ASEAN+1 FTAs.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110|
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Sang-Hyop & Mason, Andrew & Park, Donghyun, 2011. "Why Does Population Aging Matter So Much for Asia? Population Aging, Economic Growth, and Economic Security in Asia," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 284, Asian Development Bank.
- Tomohiro MACHIKITA & Shoichi MIYAHARA & Masatsugu TSUJI & Yasushi UEKI, 2010. "Detecting Effective Knowledge Sources in Product Innovation: Evidence from Local Firms and MNCs/JVs in Southeast Asia," Working Papers DP-2010-08, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Kazunobu HAYAKAWA & Fukunari KIMURA & Tomohiro MACHIKITA, 2008.
"Firm-level Analysis of Globalization: A Survey,"
d001, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Kazunobu HAYAKAWA & Fukunari KIMURA & Tomohiro MACHIKITA, 2009. "Firm-level Analysis of Globalization: A Survey," Working Papers d008, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Tomohiro MACHIKITA & Masatsugu TSUJI & Yasushi UEKI, 2010. "How ICTs Raise Manufacturing Performance: Firm-level Evidence in Southeast Asia," Working Papers DP-2010-07, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:era:wpaper:pb-2012-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.