How Does Country Risk Matter for Foreign Direct Investment?
In this paper we empirically investigate the effects on inward FDI of various components of political and financial risk. We also examine the relationship between inward FDI and not only the level of these risks but also their changes over time. Two kinds of findings are noteworthy. One is that among the political and financial risks, only the political risk is associated with the FDI inflow. Specifically, the change in the level of political risk affects FDI inflows, while the initial level of political risk does not. The other is that, particularly in the case of developing countries, payment delays, contract expropriation, and corruption are negatively associated with the FDI inflow. However, significant improvement leads to increased FDI inflow, even if initial levels are high.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110|
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shang-Jin Wei, 2000. "Local Corruption and Global Capital Flows," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(2), pages 303-354.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Joe Stone & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 1995. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: A longitudinal, cross-country analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 131(1), pages 67-85, March.
- Laura Resmini, 2000.
"The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in the CEECs: New evidence from sectoral patterns,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(3), pages 665-689, November.
- Laura Resmini, 1999. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment into the CEECs: New Evidence from Sectoral Patterns," LICOS Discussion Papers 8399, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
Atlantic Economic Journal,
Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," NBER Working Papers 11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Asiedu, Elizabeth, 2002. "On the Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment to Developing Countries: Is Africa Different?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 107-119, January.
- Fathi Ali & Norbert Fiess & Ronald MacDonald, 2008.
"Do Institutions Matter for Foreign Direct Investment?,"
2008_26, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Fathi Ali & Norbert Fiess & Ronald MacDonald, 2010. "Do Institutions Matter for Foreign Direct Investment?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 201-219, April.
- Ali, Fathi & Fiess, Norbert & MacDonald, Ronald, 2008. "Do Institutions Matter for Foreign Direct Investment?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-34, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Gastanaga, Victor M. & Nugent, Jeffrey B. & Pashamova, Bistra, 1998. "Host Country Reforms and FDI Inflows: How Much Difference do they Make?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1299-1314, July.
- Ivar Kolstad & Espen Villanger, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment in the Caribbean," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 26(1), pages 79-89, 01.
- Noorbakhsh, Farhad & Paloni, Alberto & Youssef, Ali, 2001. "Human Capital and FDI Inflows to Developing Countries: New Empirical Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1593-1610, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:era:wpaper:dp-2012-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.