Do industries pollute more in poorer neighborhoods? Evidence from toxic releasing plants in Mexico
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Lopamudra Chakraborti & Michael Margolis, 2017. "Do industries pollute more in poorer neighborhoods? Evidence from toxic releasing plants in Mexico," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 37(2), pages 853-870.
- Lopamudra Chakraborti & José Jaime Sainz Santamaría, 2015. "Do Industries Pollute More in Poorer Neighborhoods? Evidence From Toxic Releasing Plants in Mexico," Working papers DTE 587, CIDE, División de Economía.
References listed on IDEAS
- Gray, Wayne B. & Shadbegian, R.J.Ronald J., 2004.
"'Optimal' pollution abatement--whose benefits matter, and how much?,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 510-534, May.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2002. "Optimal Pollution Abatement - Whose Benefits Matter, and How Much?," NBER Working Papers 9125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2002. "‘Optimal’ Pollution Abatement – Whose Benefits Matter, and How Much?," NCEE Working Paper Series 200205, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Sep 2002.
- Gangadharan, Lata, 2006.
"Environmental compliance by firms in the manufacturing sector in Mexico,"
Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 477-486, October.
- Lata Gangadharan, 2003. "Environmental Compliance by Firms in the Manufacturing Sector in Mexico," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 881, The University of Melbourne.
- Brooks, Nancy & Sethi, Rajiv, 1997. "The Distribution of Pollution: Community Characteristics and Exposure to Air Toxics," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 233-250, February.
- Blackman, Allen & Batz, Michael & Evans, David, 2003. "Maquiladoras, Air Pollution, and Human Health in Ciudad Juarez and El Paso," Discussion Papers dp-03-18, Resources For the Future.
- Christopher S. Decker & Donald A. Nielsen & Roger P. Sindt, 2005. "Residential Property Values and Community Right‐to‐Know Laws: Has the Toxics Release Inventory Had an Impact?," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 113-133, February.
- James T. Hamilton, 1995. "Testing for environmental racism: Prejudice, profits, political power?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 107-132.
- Cruz Guillermo, 2004. "El efecto del regulador y de la comunidad sobre el desempeño ambiental de la industria en Bogotá, Colombia," Revista Desarrollo y Sociedad, Universidad de los Andes - CEDE, September.
- Janet Currie & Lucas Davis & Michael Greenstone & Reed Walker, 2015. "Environmental Health Risks and Housing Values: Evidence from 1,600 Toxic Plant Openings and Closings," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 105(2), pages 678-709, February.
- Helland, Eric & Whitford, Andrew B., 2003. "Pollution incidence and political jurisdiction: evidence from the TRI," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 403-424, November.
- James T. Hamilton & W. Kip Viscusi, 1999. "Are Risk Regulators Rational? Evidence from Hazardous Waste Cleanup Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 1010-1027, September.
- Francisco Lara-Valencia & Sioban Harlow & Maria Carmen Lemos & Catalina Denman, 2009. "Equity dimensions of hazardous waste generation in rapidly industrialising cities along the United States-Mexico border," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 52(2), pages 195-216.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Lucas, Robert E.B. & Wheeler, David, 2002. "Plant size, industrial air pollution, and local incomes: evidence from Mexico and Brazil," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 365-381, May.
- Wolverton Ann, 2009.
"Effects of Socio-Economic and Input-Related Factors on Polluting Plants' Location Decisions,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-32, March.
- Ann Wolverton, 2008. "Effects of Socio-Economic and Input-Related Factors on Polluting Plants' Location Decisions," NCEE Working Paper Series 200808, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Aug 2008.
- Escobar, Ninel & Chávez, Carlos, 2013. "Monitoring, firms’ compliance and imposition of fines: evidence from the Federal Industrial Inspection Program in Mexico City," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(06), pages 723-748, December.
- Seroa da Motta, Ronaldo, 2006. "Analyzing the environmental performance of the Brazilian industrial sector," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 269-281, May.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Hettige, Hemamala & Wheeler, David, 2000. "What Improves Environmental Compliance? Evidence from Mexican Industry," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 39-66, January.
- Saha, Shrawantee & Mohr, Robert D., 2013. "Media attention and the Toxics Release Inventory," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 284-291.
More about this item
Keywordsindustrial pollution; local income and unemployment effects; informal regulation; environmental justice; community pressure; toxic releasis in Mexico;
- Q52 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Pollution Control Adoption and Costs; Distributional Effects; Employment Effects
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ENV-2016-07-16 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-GER-2016-07-16 (German Papers)
- NEP-RES-2016-07-16 (Resource Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emc:wpaper:dte597. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alfonso Miranda). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/cideemx.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.