On the existence of the maximum likelihood estimates for Poisson regression
We note that the existence of the maximum likelihood estimates for Poisson regression depends on the data configuration. Because standard software does not check for this problem, the practitioner may be surprised to find that in some applications estimation of the Poisson regression is unusually difficult or even impossible. More seriously, the estimation algorithm may lead to spurious maximum likelihood estimates. We identify the signs of the non-existence of the maximum likelihood estimates and propose a simple empirical strategy to single out the regressors causing this type of identification failure.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: LSE Library Portugal Street London, WC2A 2HD, U.K.|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005.
"The log of gravity,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984.
"Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Applications to Poisson Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 701-20, May.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1982. "Pseudo maximum lilelihood methods : applications to poisson models," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 8203, CEPREMAP.
- Willard G. Manning & John Mullahy, 1999.
"Estimating Log Models: To Transform or Not to Transform?,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manning, Willard G. & Mullahy, John, 2001. "Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 461-494, July.
- Dr Alex Bryson, 2009.
"Employee Voice and Private Sector Workplace Outcomes in Britain, 1980-2004,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
329, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Alex Bryson & Rafael Gomez & Tobias Kretschmer & P. Willman, 2009. "Employee voice and private sector workplace outcomes in Britain, 1980-2004," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51585, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alex Bryson & Rafael Gomez & Tobias Kretschmer & P Willman, 2009. "Employee Voice and Private Sector Workplace Outcomes in Britain, 1980-2004," CEP Discussion Papers dp0924, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:25504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.