New Keynesian Phillips curve for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
This paper presents an empirical analysis of the inflation process in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania within the framework of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve (NKPC) model of Galí and Gertler (1999) and Galí et al. (2001). An open economy extension by Leith and Malley (2003) and a NKPC model that explicitly incorporates energy into the average real marginal cost measure are also considered. The primary focus of the paper is to identify and compare the underlying structural parameters of the NKPC model across the three Baltic economies. Empirical NKPC model estimates point to a limited role of the cost measure in determining inflation dynamics in the three Baltic countries. It has been found that the inflation process in these countries primarily depends on inflation expectations and past inflation rates. Price setting flexibility, as measured by the price stickiness parameter, tends to be lower than in the euro area but higher than in the US, while the share of backward-looking price setters is found to be higher on average.
|Date of creation:||26 Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:||26 Aug 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
Web page: http://www.bankofestonia.info
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Nason & Gregor W. Smith, 2005.
"Identifying the New Keynesian Phillips curve,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
2005-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2000.
"Inflation Dynamics: A Structural Econometric Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
7551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 195-222, October.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1998. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Economics Working Papers 341, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Jordi Galí & J David López-Salido, 2001.
"A New Phillips curve for Spain,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Empirical studies of structural changes and inflation, volume 3, pages 174-203
Bank for International Settlements.
- Sbordone, Argia M., 2002.
"Prices and unit labor costs: a new test of price stickiness,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 265-292, March.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2001. "Prices and Unit Labor Costs: A New Test of Price Stickiness," Departmental Working Papers 199822, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2001. "Prices and Unit Labor Costs: A New Test of Price Stickiness," Departmental Working Papers 200112, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Sbordone, Argia, 1998. "Prices and Unit Labor Costs: A New Test of Price Stickiness," Seminar Papers 653, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Sbordone, A.M., 1998. "Prices and Unit Labor Costs: a New Test of Price Stickiness," Papers 653, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Robert Lucas & Mike Golosov, 2004.
"Menu Costs and Phillips Curves,"
2004 Meeting Papers
144, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Masso, Jaan & Staehr, Karsten, 2005.
"Inflation dynamics and nominal adjustment in the Baltic States,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 281-303, June.
- Jaan Masso & Karsten Staehr, 2005. "Inflation Dynamics And Nominal Adjustment In The Baltic States," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 35, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2004.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(5), pages 947-985, October.
- Ma, Adrian, 2002. "GMM estimation of the new Phillips curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 411-417, August.
- Edith Gagnon & Hashmat Khan, 2001. "New Phillips Curve with Alternative Marginal Cost Measures forCanada, the United States, and the Euro Area," Staff Working Papers 01-25, Bank of Canada.
- Campbell Leith & Jim Malley, 2002.
"Estimated Open Economy New Keynesian Phillips Curves for the G7,"
2002_8, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Campbell Leith & Jim Malley, 2007. "Estimated Open Economy New Keynesian Phillips Curves for the G7," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 405-426, September.
- Campbell Leith & Jim Malley, 2003. "Estimated Open Economy New Keynesian Phillips Curves for the G7," CESifo Working Paper Series 834, CESifo Group Munich.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark & Lopez-Salido, J. David, 2001.
"European inflation dynamics,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 1237-1270.
- Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark & López-Salido, J David, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 2684, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler & J. David Lopez-Salido, 2001. "European Inflation Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 8218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler & J. David López-Salido, 2000. "European Inflation Dynamics," Working Papers 0020, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Karl Whelan & Martina Lawless, 2007.
"Understanding the dynamics of labor shares and inflation,"
Open Access publications
10197/220, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Lawless, Martina & Whelan, Karl T., 2011. "Understanding the dynamics of labor shares and inflation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 121-136, June.
- Lawless, Martina & Whelan, Karl, 2007. "Understanding the dynamics of labor shares and inflation," Working Paper Series 0784, European Central Bank.
- Lawless, Martina & Whelan, Karl, 2007. "Understanding the Dynamics of Labour Shares and Inflation," Research Technical Papers 4/RT/07, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Ravi Balakrishnan & J David Lopez-Salido, 2002. "Understanding UK inflation: the role of openness," Bank of England working papers 164, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eea:boewps:wp2007-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peeter Luikmel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.