New Keynesian Phillips curve for Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
This paper presents an empirical analysis of the inflation process in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania within the framework of the New Keynesian Phillips Curve (NKPC) model of Galí and Gertler (1999) and Galí et al. (2001). An open economy extension by Leith and Malley (2003) and a NKPC model that explicitly incorporates energy into the average real marginal cost measure are also considered. The primary focus of the paper is to identify and compare the underlying structural parameters of the NKPC model across the three Baltic economies. Empirical NKPC model estimates point to a limited role of the cost measure in determining inflation dynamics in the three Baltic countries. It has been found that the inflation process in these countries primarily depends on inflation expectations and past inflation rates. Price setting flexibility, as measured by the price stickiness parameter, tends to be lower than in the euro area but higher than in the US, while the share of backward-looking price setters is found to be higher on average.
|Date of creation:||26 Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:||26 Aug 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.bankofestonia.info
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2002.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
9069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mikhail Golosov & Robert E. Lucas Jr., 2007.
"Menu Costs and Phillips Curves,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 115, pages 171-199.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sbordone, A.M., 1998.
"Prices and Unit Labor Costs: a New Test of Price Stickiness,"
653, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Sbordone, Argia M., 2002. "Prices and unit labor costs: a new test of price stickiness," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 265-292, March.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2001. "Prices and Unit Labor Costs: A New Test of Price Stickiness," Departmental Working Papers 200112, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Sbordone, Argia, 1998. "Prices and Unit Labor Costs: A New Test of Price Stickiness," Seminar Papers 653, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2001. "Prices and Unit Labor Costs: A New Test of Price Stickiness," Departmental Working Papers 199822, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Jordi Galí & David López-Salido, 2001.
"A New Phillips Curve for Spain,"
Banco de Espa�a Working Papers
0109, Banco de Espa�a.
- Lawless, Martina & Whelan, Karl, 2007.
"Understanding the dynamics of labor shares and inflation,"
Working Paper Series
0784, European Central Bank.
- Lawless, Martina & Whelan, Karl T., 2011. "Understanding the dynamics of labor shares and inflation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 121-136, June.
- Lawless, Martina & Whelan, Karl, 2007. "Understanding the Dynamics of Labour Shares and Inflation," Research Technical Papers 4/RT/07, Central Bank of Ireland.
- James M. Nason & Gregor W. Smith, 2008.
"Identifying the new Keynesian Phillips curve,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(5), pages 525-551.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler & J. David Lopez-Salido, 2001.
"European Inflation Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
8218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edith Gagnon & Hashmat Khan, 2001. "New Phillips Curve with Alternative Marginal Cost Measures forCanada, the United States, and the Euro Area," Working Papers 01-25, Bank of Canada.
- Campbell Leith & Jim Malley, 2003.
"Estimated Open Economy New Keynesian Phillips Curves for the G7,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
834, CESifo Group Munich.
- Campbell Leith & Jim Malley, 2007. "Estimated Open Economy New Keynesian Phillips Curves for the G7," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 405-426, September.
- Campbell Leith & Jim Malley, 2002. "Estimated Open Economy New Keynesian Phillips Curves for the G7," Working Papers 2002_8, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Ravi Balakrishnan & J David Lopez-Salido, 2002. "Understanding UK inflation: the role of openness," Bank of England working papers 164, Bank of England.
- Masso, Jaan & Staehr, Karsten, 2005.
"Inflation dynamics and nominal adjustment in the Baltic States,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 281-303, June.
- Jaan Masso & Karsten Staehr, 2005. "Inflation Dynamics And Nominal Adjustment In The Baltic States," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 35, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999.
"Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 195-222, October.
- Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2000. "Inflation Dynamics: A Structural Econometric Analysis," NBER Working Papers 7551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1998. "Inflation dynamics: A structural econometric analysis," Economics Working Papers 341, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ma, Adrian, 2002. "GMM estimation of the new Phillips curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 411-417, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eea:boewps:wp2007-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peeter Luikmel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.