A New Phillips Curve for Spain
In this paper we provide evidence on the fit of the New Phillips Curve (NPC) for Spain over the most recent disinflationary period (1980-1998). Some of the findings can be summarized as follows: (a) the NPC fits the data well; (b) yet, the backward looking component of inflation is important; (c) the degree of price stickiness implied by the estimates is plausible; (d) the use of independent information about prices on imported intermediate goods (which is influenced by the exchange rate) affects the measure of the firm's marginal costs and so inflation dynamics; and finally, (e) labor market frictions, as manifested in the behavior of the wage markup, appear to have also played a key role in shaping the behavior of marginal costs.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bde.es/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G, 1997.
"Returns to Scale in U.S. Production: Estimates and Implications,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 249-283, April.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1996. "Returns to scale in U.S. production: estimates and implications," International Finance Discussion Papers 546, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bentolila, S. & Saint-Paul, G., 1992.
"A Model of Labour Demand with Linear Adjustment Costs,"
DELTA Working Papers
92-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Bentolila, Samuel & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1994. "A model of labor demand with linear adjustment costs," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 303-326, September.
- Bentolila, S. & Saint-Paul, G., 1995. "A model of labour demand with linear adjustment costs," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 105-105, March.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1992. "A Model of Labour Demand with Linear Adjustment Costs," CEPR Discussion Papers 690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olympia Bover & Samuel Bentolila & Manuel Arellano, 2000.
"The Distribution of Earnings in Spain During the 1980s: the Effects of Skill, Unemployment, and Union Power,"
0015, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bentolila, Samuel & Bover, Olympia, 2001. "The Distribution of Earnings in Spain During the 1980s: The Effects of Skill, Unemployment and Union Power," CEPR Discussion Papers 2770, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dolado, J J & Malo de Molina, J L & Zabalza, A, 1986. "Spanish Industrial Unemployment: Some Explanatory Factors," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 53(210(S)), pages S313-34, Supplemen.
- Georges Siotis, 2000. "Market Power, Total Factor Productivity Growth, and Structural Change. An Illustration for Spain, 1983-1996," Working Papers 0001, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Yun, Tack, 1996. "Nominal price rigidity, money supply endogeneity, and business cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 345-370, April.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Lars E. O. Svensson, 1998.
"Policy rules for inflation targeting,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Svensson, Lars E.O. & Rudebusch , Glenn, 1998. "Policy Rules for Inflation Targeting," Seminar Papers 637, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Rudebusch, G.D. & Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Policy Rules for Inflation Targeting," Papers 637, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D & Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Policy Rules for Inflation Targeting," CEPR Discussion Papers 1999, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Lars E. O. Svensson, 1998. "Policy rules for inflation targeting," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 98-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Lars E. O. Svensson, 1998. "Policy Rules for Inflation Targeting," NBER Working Papers 6512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball, 1993.
"What determines the sacrifice ratio?,"
93-21, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Jeff Fuhrer & George Moore, 1995. "Inflation Persistence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(1), pages 127-159.
- Michael Woodford, 1996. "Control of the Public Debt: A Requirement for Price Stability?," NBER Working Papers 5684, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cara S. Lown & Robert W. Rich, 1997.
"Is there an inflation puzzle?,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec, pages 51-77.
- Michael Dotsey & Robert G. King & Alexander L. Wolman, 1999. "State-Dependent Pricing and the General Equilibrium Dynamics of Money and Output," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(2), pages 655-690.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:0109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.