Tax Incentives and Job Creation in the Tourism Industry of Brazil
In recent decades, a significant number of developing countries have implemented fiscal incentives programs for the tourism industry as part of their regional development policies. The main objective of these programs is to increase local investment and employment, as tourism activities are labor intensive. However, little evidence is available to assess the effect of these policies on job creation in emerging markets. In this paper, we analyze a program of fiscal incentives introduced by the Brazilian federal government in the SUDENE area in 2002 and in which tourism firms were eligible to participate. Through a difference-in-difference estimation, we compare before and after 2002 the change in the logarithm of local employment in the SUDENE municipalities (the treatment group) to the change in the same outcome in a group of municipalities that were not affected by the program (the control group). Our empirical analysis provides robust evidence that the fiscal incentives led to a substantial increase in tourism employment in the SUDENE region. In particular, we find that local employment in the tourism industry was on average 34 percent higher in the treatment group. This result does not seem to be affected by either displacement effect or job destruction in those neighboring municipalities that had not benefited from the same tax incentives.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2016|
|Publication status:||Published by:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. F.D., Roosevelt, 39, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: (32 2) 650 30 75
Fax: (32 2) 650 44 75
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars P. Feld & Jost H. Heckemeyer, 2011.
"Fdi And Taxation: A Meta‐Study,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 233-272, 04.
- Feld, Lars P. & Heckemeyer, Jost Henrich, 2008. "FDI and Taxation: A Meta-Study," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-128, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lars P. Feld & Jost Henrich Heckemeyer, 2009. "FDI and Taxation: A Meta-Study," CESifo Working Paper Series 2540, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2005. "Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 83-120, February.
- Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Ernesto Schargrodsky, 2002. "Water for Life: The Impact of the Privatization of Water Services on Child Mortality," Working Papers 54, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Sep 2005.
- Joel A. Elvery, 2009. "The Impact of Enterprise Zones on Resident Employment," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 23(1), pages 44-59, February.
- Chirinko, Robert S. & Wilson, Daniel J., 2008. "State investment tax incentives: A zero-sum game?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(12), pages 2362-2384, December.
- Robert S. Chirinko & Daniel J. Wilson, 2006. "State investment tax incentives: a zero-sum game?," Working Paper Series 2006-47, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Robert S. Chirinko & Daniel J. Wilson, 2007. "State Investment Tax Incentives: A Zero-Sum Game?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1895, CESifo Group Munich.
- Zee, Howell H. & Stotsky, Janet G. & Ley, Eduardo, 2002. "Tax Incentives for Business Investment: A Primer for Policy Makers in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1497-1516, September.
- Cerqua, Augusto & Pellegrini, Guido, 2014. "Do subsidies to private capital boost firms' growth? A multiple regression discontinuity design approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(C), pages 114-126.
- S. Abbas & Alexander Klemm, 2013. "A partial race to the bottom: corporate tax developments in emerging and developing economies," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 20(4), pages 596-617, August.
- Junhyung Park & Sukhmani Bedi & S. M. Ali Abbas & Alexander D Klemm, 2012. "A Partial Race to the Bottom; Corporate Tax Developments in Emerging and Developing Economies," IMF Working Papers 12/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Bichaka Fayissa & Christian Nsiah & Badassa Tadasse, 2007. "The Impact of Tourism on Economic Growth and Development in Africa," Working Papers 200716, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Alexander Klemm & Stefan Parys, 2012. "Empirical evidence on the effects of tax incentives," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 19(3), pages 393-423, June.
- Alexander D Klemm & Stefan van Parys, 2009. "Empirical Evidenceon the Effects of Tax Incentives," IMF Working Papers 09/136, International Monetary Fund.
- A. Klemm & S. Van Parys, 2010. "Empirical Evidence on the Effects of Tax Incentives," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 10/673, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Matias Busso & Jesse Gregory & Patrick Kline, 2013. "Assessing the Incidence and Efficiency of a Prominent Place Based Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(2), pages 897-947, April.
- Matias Busso & Jesse Gregory & Patrick M. Kline, 2010. "Assessing the Incidence and Efficiency of a Prominent Place Based Policy," NBER Working Papers 16096, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matias Busso & Jesse Gregory & Patrick Kline, 2011. "Assessing the Incidence and Efficiency of a Prominent Place Based Policy," Working Papers 11-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Feltenstein, Andrew & Shah, Anwar, 1995. "General equilibrium effects of investment incentives in Mexico," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 253-269, April.
- Feltenstein, Andrew & Shah, Anwar, 1992. "General equilibrium effects of investment incentives in Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 927, The World Bank.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008. "Corporate tax elasticities: a reader's guide to empirical findings," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 680-697, winter.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008. "Corporate Tax Elasticities A Reader’s Guide to Empirical Findings," Working Papers 0822, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- de Mooij, Ruud A & Ederveen, Sjef, 2003. "Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 10(6), pages 673-693, November.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2001. "Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research," CESifo Working Paper Series 588, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ruud de Mooij & S. Ederveen, 2001. "Taxation and foreign direct investment; a synthesis of empirical research," CPB Discussion Paper 3, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Todd M. Gabe & David S. Kraybill, 2002. "The Effect of State Economic Development Incentives on Employment Growth of Establishments," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 703-730.
- Bondonio, Daniele & Greenbaum, Robert T., 2007. "Do local tax incentives affect economic growth? What mean impacts miss in the analysis of enterprise zone policies," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 121-136, January.
- Irina Klytchnikova & Paul Dorosh, 2013. "Tourism sector in Panama: Regional economic impacts and the potential to benefit the poor," Natural Resources Forum, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 70-79, 05.
- P. Givord & S. Quantin & C. Trevien, 2012. "A Long-Term Evaluation of the First Generation of the French Urban Enterprise Zones," Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE g2012-01, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
- Pauline Givord & Simon Quantin & Corentin Trevien, 2015. "A Long-Term Evaluation of the First Generation of the French Urban Enterprise Zones," Working Papers 2014-48, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Corentin Trevien & Pauline Givord & Simon Quantin, 2012. "A Long-Term Evaluation of the First Generation of the French Urban Enterprise Zones," ERSA conference papers ersa12p776, European Regional Science Association.
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2008. "Some Practical Guidance For The Implementation Of Propensity Score Matching," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 31-72, 02.
- Caliendo, Marco & Kopeinig, Sabine, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 1588, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Caliendo & Sabine Kopeinig, 2005. "Some Practical Guidance for the Implementation of Propensity Score Matching," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 485, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gerhard Untiedt & Hans Joachim Schalk, 2000. "Regional investment incentives in Germany: Impacts on factor demand and growth," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 34(2), pages 173-195.
- Neumark, David & Kolko, Jed, 2010. "Do enterprise zones create jobs? Evidence from California's enterprise zone program," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 1-19, July.
- David Neumark & Jed Kolko, 2008. "Do Enterprise Zones Create Jobs? Evidence from California's Enterprise Zone Program," NBER Working Papers 14530, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Luis Eugenio-Martín & Noelia Martín Morales & Riccardo Scarpa, 2004. "Tourism and Economic Growth in Latin American Countries: A Panel Data Approach," Working Papers 2004.26, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Michael J. Hicks & Michael LaFaive, 2011. "The Influence of Targeted Economic Development Tax Incentives on County Economic Growth: Evidence From Michigan's MEGA Credits," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 25(2), pages 193-205, May.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra Todd, 1998. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 261-294.
- S. Van Parys & S. James, 2010. "The Effectiveness of Tax Incentives in Attracting FDI: Evidence from the Tourism Sector in the Caribbean," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 10/675, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Bronzini, Raffaello & de Blasio, Guido, 2006. "Evaluating the impact of investment incentives: The case of Italy's Law 488/1992," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 327-349, September.
- Blake, Adam & Arbache, Jorge Saba & Sinclair, Thea & Teles, Vladimir Kühl, 2010. "Tourism and poverty relief," Textos para discussão 237, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eca:wpaper:2013/227978. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.