On the characterisation and measurement of the redistributive effects of agricultural policy
This paper provides a characterisation of the redistributive effects of agricultural policy, which yields consistent measures of horizontal inequities in the provision of support arising from both unequal treatment of pre-transfer income equals and systematic reranking of pretransfer income unequals. An illustrative study shows that the distribution of support would have reduced farm income inequality in Scotland but for the adverse redistributive consequences of horizontal inequities, although neither systematic discrimination between farm types nor systematic reranking proves to be the major source of such inequities. The imperfect targeting of support revealed by the empirical findings has implications for policy design.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dundee, DD1 4HN|
Phone: (01382) 344375
Fax: (01382) 344691
Web page: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/econman/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allanson, Paul, 2005.
"Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24769, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paul Allanson, 2007. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 656-671.
- Paul Allanson, 2005. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 177, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Allanson, Paul, 2005.
"The Impact of Farm Income Support on Absolute Inequality,"
94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK
24432, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paul Allanson, 2005. "The Impact of Farm Income Support on Absolute Inequality," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 178, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Paul Allanson, 2006. "The Redistributive Effects of Agricultural Policy on Scottish Farm Incomes," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 117-128, 03.
- Juan Gabriel Rodríguez & Rafael Salas & Irene Perrote, 2004.
"Partial Horizontal Inequity Orderings: A non-parametric Approach,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2004/01, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Juan Gabriel Rodríguez & Rafael Salas & Irene Perrote, 2005. "Partial Horizontal Inequity Orderings: A Non-parametric Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(3), pages 347-368, 06.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989. "Improving the accuracy of estimates of Gini coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-47, September.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dun:dpaper:188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrzej Kwiatkowski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.