On the Characterisation and Measurement of the Redistributive Effect of Agricultural Policy
The article proposes a coherent framework for the evaluation of the redistributive performance of agricultural policy. An illustrative study shows that the vertical stance of policy in Scotland was progressive in absolute terms, reflecting the chronic dependence of Scottish agriculture on policy transfers. Nevertheless, the overall redistributive effect of policy was to increase absolute inequality in farm incomes because of horizontal inequities in the incidence of transfers, though neither systematic discrimination between farm types nor systematic reranking was the main cause. The targeting of policy transfers could be improved by the use of indicator variables more strongly correlated with pre-transfer incomes. Copyright 2007 The Author. Journal compilation 2007 The Agricultural Economics Society.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 59 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-857X|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0021-857X|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Allanson, 2007.
"Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 656-671.
- Paul Allanson, 2005. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 177, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Allanson, Paul, 2005. "Classical Horizontal Inequities in the Provision of Agricultural Income Support," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24769, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paul Allanson, 2005. "The Impact of Farm Income Support on Absolute Inequality," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 178, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Allanson, Paul, 2005. "The Impact of Farm Income Support on Absolute Inequality," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24432, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Paul Allanson, 2006. "The Redistributive Effects of Agricultural Policy on Scottish Farm Incomes," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 117-128, 03.
- Juan Gabriel Rodríguez & Rafael Salas & Irene Perrote, 2005. "Partial Horizontal Inequity Orderings: A Non-parametric Approach," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(3), pages 347-368, 06.
- Juan Gabriel Rodríguez & Rafael Salas & Irene Perrote, 2004. "Partial Horizontal Inequity Orderings: A non-parametric Approach," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/01, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989. "Improving the accuracy of estimates of Gini coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-47, September.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)