Competition Issues in Restructuring Ports and Railways, Including Brief Consideration of these Sectors in India
One important issue facing reformers considering the restructuring of the seaports and freight railways sectors of a developing country is the creation of competition or, alternatively, avoiding the creation or preservation of monopoly power. In seaports a crucial distinction is often that between intraport and interport competition; in freight railways, between competition among train operating companies over a monopoly track and competition among vertically integrated railways. In both cases it is useful to frame the issue as one of competition at the component level within an open system versus competition between closed systems. In both cases as well, the market definition paradigm suggested by the Horizontal Merger Guidelines of the U.S. competition agencies provides a useful framework for analysis.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.justice.gov/atr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Campos, 2002. "Competition issues in network industries: the Latin American railways experience," Brazilian Electronic Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, vol. 5(1), May.
- Peter W. De Langen & Athanasios A. Pallis, 2005. "Analysis Of The Benefits Of Intra-Port Competition," Industrial Organization 0510003, EconWPA, revised 17 Oct 2005.
- Kumar, Sudhir, 2009. "Bankruptcy to Billions: How the Indian Railways Transformed," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198060857, March.
- Estache, Antonio & Gonzalez, Marianela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2001. "Technical efficiency gains from port reform : the potential for yardstick competition in Mexico," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2637, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001.
"Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Antonio Estache & Andrea Goldstein & Russell Pittman, 2001. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 203-235, June.
- Estache, A. & Goldstein, A. & Pittman, R., 2000. "Privatization and Regulatory Reform in Brazil: The Case of Freight Railways," Papers 00-5, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
- Jorge Kogan, 2006. "Latin America: Competition for Concessions," Chapters, in: Competition in the Railway Industry, chapter 7 Edward Elgar.
- Pittman, Russell, 2007. "Options for Restructuring the State-Owned Monopoly Railway," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 179-198, January.
- Flavio M. Menezes & Marcin Pracz & Rod Tyers, 2007.
"Strategic Interaction amongst Australia's East Coast Ports,"
Australian Economic Review,
The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 40(3), pages 267-278, 09.
- Marcin Pracz & Rod Tyers, 2006. "Strategic Interaction amongst Australia’s East Coast Ports," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2006-471, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006.
"Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
29, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Christian Growitsch & Heike Wetzel, 2006. "Economies of Scope in European Railways: An Efficiency Analysis," IWH Discussion Papers 5, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Chris Nash, 2006. "Europe: Alternative Models for Restructuring," Chapters, in: Competition in the Railway Industry, chapter 2 Edward Elgar.
- Nakil Sung & Yong-Hun Lee, 2002. "Substitution between Mobile and Fixed Telephones in Korea," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 367-374, June.
- R. Pittman, 2009.
"Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries,"
Competition and Regulation in Network Industries,
Intersentia, vol. 10(3), pages 259-279, September.
- Russell Pittman, 2009. "Railway Mergers and Railway Alliances: Competition Issues and Lessons for Other Network Industries," EAG Discussions Papers 200902, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1990. "Railroads and Competition: The Santa Fe/Southern Pacific Merger Proposal," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 25-46, September.
- Antonio Estache & D. Benitez, 2005.
"How concentrated are global infrastructure markets?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43970, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Benitez Daniel & Estache Antonio, 2005. "How Concentrated are Global Infrastructure Markets?," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-23, September.
- Benitez, Daniel & Estache, Antonio, 2005. "How concentrated are global infrastructure markets?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3513, The World Bank.
- Pittman Russell, 2005. "Structural Separation to Create Competition? The Case of Freight Railways," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(3), pages 1-16, September.
- Llanto, Gilberto M. & Basilio, Leilanie Q. & Basilio, Enrico L., 2005. "Competition Policy and Regulation in Ports and Shipping," Discussion Papers DP 2005-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-82, March.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," IDEI Working Papers 93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Stephen Glaister, 2006. "Britain: Competition Undermined by Politics," Chapters, in: Competition in the Railway Industry, chapter 3 Edward Elgar.
- Terry Gourvish, 2009. "Bankruptcy to billions: how the Indian railways transformed," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(6), pages 968-969.
- Alfred E. Kahn, 1988. "The Economics of Regulation: Principles and Institutions," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262610523, June.
- Eddy van de Voorde & Thierry Vanelslander, 2009. "Market Power and Vertical and Horizontal Integration in the Maritime Shipping and Port Industry," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2009/2, OECD Publishing.
- Hercules E Haralambides & Pierre Cariou & Marco Benacchio, 2002. "Costs, Benefits and Pricing of Dedicated Container Terminals," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 4(1), pages 21-34, March.
- Antoine Frémont, 2009. "Empirical Evidence for Integration and Disintegration of Maritime Shipping, Port and Logistics Activities," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2009/1, OECD Publishing.
- Oecd, 2006. "Structural Reform in the Rail Industry," OECD Journal: Competition Law and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 8(2), pages 67-175.
- Gilberto M. Llanto & Enrico L. Basilio & Leilanie Basilio, 2005. "Competition Policy and Regulation in Ports and Shipping," Development Economics Working Papers 22648, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:doj:eagpap:200906. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tung Vu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.