Vertical integration and exclusivities in maritime freight transport
A key recent theme in maritime freight transport is the involvement of shipping lines in terminal management. Such investments are costly but allow liners to provide better service. Most of these new terminals are dedicated terminals but some are non-exclusive and let rivals access them for a fee. In this paper, we show that a shipping line that builds its own terminal finds it strategically profitable i) to continue routing part of its cargo through the open port facilities, and ii) to keep its terminal non-exclusive. In this way, the liner investor pushes part of the rival's freight from the open to the new terminal. Besides, under non-exclusivities, the shipping lines offer a wider variety of services, total freight increases and the resulting equilibrium fares are higher than with a dedicated terminal.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Yongmin, 2001.
"On Vertical Mergers and Their Competitive Effects,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 667-85, Winter.
- Yongmin Chen, 2000. "On Vertical Mergers and Their Competitive Effects," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0383, Econometric Society.
- Bruno De Borger & Stef Proost & Kurt Van Dender, 2007.
"Private port pricing and public investment in port and Hinterland capacity,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0708, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Bruno De Borger & Stef Proost & Kurt Van Dender, 2008. "Private Port Pricing and Public Investment in Port and Hinterland Capacity," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 42(3), pages 527-561, September.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & PROOST, Stef & VAN DENDER, Kurt, 2007. "Private port pricing and public investment in port and hinterland capacity," Working Papers 2007019, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Zhang, Anming & Fu, Xiaowen & Yang, Hangjun (Gavin), 2010. "Revenue sharing with multiple airlines and airports," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(8-9), pages 944-959, September.
- T. Heaver & H. Meersman & E. Van De Voorde, 2001.
"Co-operation and competition in international container transport: strategies for ports,"
Maritime Policy & Management,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(3), pages 293-305, July.
- HEAVER, Trevor & MEERSMAN, Hilde & VAN DE VOORDE, Eddy, 2001. "Co-operation and competition in international container transport: Strategies for ports," Working Papers 2001002, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Evangelia N. Kaselimi & Theo E. Notteboom & Bruno De Borger, 2011. "A game theoretical approach to competition between multi-user terminals: the impact of dedicated terminals," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(4), pages 395-414, January.
- Choi, J.P. & Yi, S.S., 1997.
"Vertical Foreclosure with the Choice of Input Specifications,"
1997-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jay Pil Choi & Sang-Seung Yi, 2000. "Vertical Foreclosure with the Choice of Input Specifications," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 717-743, Winter.
- Hummels, David & Lugovskyy, Volodymyr & Skiba, Alexandre, 2009.
"The trade reducing effects of market power in international shipping,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 84-97, May.
- David Hummels & Volodymyr Lugovskyy & Alexandre Skiba, 2007. "The Trade Reducing Effects of Market Power in International Shipping," NBER Working Papers 12914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dixit, Avinash K., 1978.
"A Model of Duopoly Suggesting a Theory of Entry Barriers,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
125, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Avinash Dixit, 1979. "A Model of Duopoly Suggesting a Theory of Entry Barriers," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 20-32, Spring.
- R. Midoro & E. Musso & F. Parola *, 2005. "Maritime liner shipping and the stevedoring industry: market structure and competition strategies," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 89-106, April.
- David Spector, 2011. "Exclusive contracts and demand foreclosure," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 42(4), pages 619-638, December.
- Photis M. Panayides, 2003. "Competitive strategies and organizational performance in ship management," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 123-140, January.
- Photis M Panayides & Kevin Cullinane, 2002. "Competitive Advantage in Liner Shipping: A Review and Research Agenda," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 4(3), pages 189-209, September.
- Wilmsmeier, Gordon & Hoffmann, Jan & Sanchez, Ricardo J., 2006. "The Impact of Port Characteristics on International Maritime Transport Costs," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 117-140, January.
- Jo Reynaerts, 2010. "Simulating mergers between stevedores," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(1), pages 8-35, March.
- Zhang, Anming & Lang, Chunmei & Hui, Y.V. & Leung, Lawrence, 2007. "Intermodal alliance and rivalry of transport chains: The air cargo market," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 234-246, May.
- Eddy van de Voorde & Thierry Vanelslander, 2009. "Market Power and Vertical and Horizontal Integration in the Maritime Shipping and Port Industry," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2009/2, OECD Publishing.
- Moner-Colonques, Rafael, 2006. "The tradeoffs between retail service and exclusivity in distribution: Welfare and policy implications," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 241-261, June.
- Theo E Notteboom, 2006. "The Time Factor in Liner Shipping Services," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 19-39, March.
- Defilippi, Enzo & Flor, Lincoln, 2008. "Regulation in a context of limited competition: A port case," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 762-773, June.
- Hercules E Haralambides & Pierre Cariou & Marco Benacchio, 2002. "Costs, Benefits and Pricing of Dedicated Container Terminals," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 4(1), pages 21-34, March.
- Anming Zhang, 2008. "The Impact of Hinterland Access Conditions on Rivalry between Ports," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2008/8, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2011015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.