Vertical integration and product differentiation
We study horizontal product differentiation as a strategic decision of downstream firms facing a threat of vertical integration and market foreclosure by an upstream monopolist. We model product differentiation either as pure market segmentation or as generating positive value to consumers. Because of the threat of vertical integration, the downstream firms prefer more differentiation when the latter merely yields the anticompetitive effects of market segmentation, while they may prefer less differentiation when the latter would generate additional social value. Therefore, instead of market foreclosure, we indicate market segmentation or under-investment in socially valuable activities, such as product innovation, design, and informative advertising, as possible social costs of a lenient antitrust policy towards vertical mergers.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics/research/discussion-papers Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yongmin Chen & Michael H. Riordan, 2003. "Vertical Integration, Exclusive Dealing, and Ex Post Cartelization," Discussion Papers 0203-13, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Stefan Buehler & Armin Schmutzler, 2004.
"Intimidating Competitors – Endogenous Vertical Integration and Downstream Investment in Successive Oligopoly,"
SOI - Working Papers
0409, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2005.
- Buehler, Stefan & Schmutzler, Armin, 2008. "Intimidating competitors -- Endogenous vertical integration and downstream investment in successive oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 247-265, January.
- Yongmin Chen, 2000.
"On Vertical Mergers and Their Competitive Effects,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0383, Econometric Society.
- Allain, Marie-Laure & Chambolle, Claire & Rey, Patrick, 2011.
"Vertical Integration, Information and Foreclosure,"
TSE Working Papers
11-237, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised Nov 2011.
- Nicholas Economides, 1994.
"Quality Choice and Vertical Integration,"
94-22, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- George Norman & Lynne Pepall, 2000.
"Product Differentiation and Upstream-Downstream Relations,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0010, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Lynne Pepall & George Norman, 2001. "Product Differentiation and Upstream-Downstream Relations," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 201-233, 06.
- Volker Nocke & Lucy White, 2003.
"Do Vertical Mergers Facilitate Upstream Collusion?,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
03-033, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Volker Nocke & Lucy White, 2007. "Do Vertical Mergers Facilitate Upstream Collusion?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1321-1339, September.
- Nocke, Volker & White, Lucy, 2004. "Do Vertical Mergers Facilitate Upstream Collusion?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4186, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucy White & Volker Nocke, 2004. "Do Vertical Mergers Facilitate Upstream Collusion?," 2004 Meeting Papers 45, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hart, O. & Tirole, J., 1990. "Vertical Integration And Market Foreclosure," Working papers 548, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2000.
"Product Differentiation in Successive Vertical Oligopolies,"
421, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Paul Belleflamme & Eric Toulemonde, 2003. "Product differentiation in successive vertical oligopolies," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 523-545, August.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & TOULEMONDE, Eric, . "Product differentiation in successive vertical oligopolies," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1720, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Noriaki Matsushima, 2009. "VERTICAL MERGERS AND PRODUCT DIFFERENTIATION -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 812-834, December.
- Matsushima, Noriaki, 2004. "Technology of upstream firms and equilibrium product differentiation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1091-1114, November.
- Ordover, Janusz A & Saloner, Garth & Salop, Steven C, 1990. "Equilibrium Vertical Foreclosure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 127-42, March.
- Brocas, Isabelle, 2003. "Vertical integration and incentives to innovate," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 457-488, April.
- Arya, Anil & Mittendorf, Brian & Sappington, David E.M., 2008. "Outsourcing, vertical integration, and price vs. quantity competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Colangelo, Giuseppe, 1995. "Vertical vs. Horizontal Integration: Pre-emptive Merging," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 323-37, September.
- Hackner, Jonas, 2003.
"Vertical Integration and Competition Policy,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 213-22, September.
- Stefanadis, Christodoulos, 1997. "Downstream Vertical Foreclosure and Upstream Innovation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 445-56, December.
- Salinger, Michael A, 1988. "Vertical Mergers and Market Foreclosure," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(2), pages 345-56, May.
- Milliou, Chrysovalantou, 2004. "Vertical integration and R&D information flow: is there a need for 'firewalls'?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 25-43, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lec:leecon:12/17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.