The European Debt Crisis and Fiscal Reaction Functions in Europe 2000-2012
After the global financial crisis, some governments in the EU experienced serious debt financing problems, while others were less affected. This paper seeks to shed light on the divergent fiscal performance by assessing the fiscal conduct in the EU countries before and after the outbreak of the crisis. Fiscal reaction functions of the primary balance are estimated for different groups of EU countries using quarterly data for the pre-crisis period 2001-2008 and for the post-crisis period 2009-2012. The pre-crisis estimations reveal some differences in persistence and cyclical reaction between different groups of countries, but generally little feedback from the debt stock to the primary balance. The countries that eventually developed fiscal problems do not stand out. The post-crisis estimations show less counter-cyclicality and much more feedback from the debt stock, and these reactions are particularly pronounced for the countries with severe fiscal problems.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan in 't Veld & Martin Larch & Marieke Vandeweyer, 2012.
"Automatic Fiscal Stabilisers: What they are and what they do,"
European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015
452, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jan in't Veld & Martin Larch & Marieke Vandeweyer, 2012. "Automatic Fiscal Stabilisers: What they are and what they do," Working Papers VIVES Research Centre for Regional Economics 29, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, VIVES Research Centre for Regional Economics.
- Charles Wyplosz, 2006. "European Monetary Union: the dark sides of a major success," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(46), pages 207-261, 04.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009.
"The impact of the crisis on budget policy in Central and Eastern Europe,"
- Zsolt Darvas, 2010. "The Impact of the Crisis on Budget Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 1-42.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009. "The Impact of the Crisis on Budget Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 0904, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009. "The Impact of the Crisis on Budget Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0924, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Henning Bohn, 1998. "The Behavior of U. S. Public Debt and Deficits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 949-963.
- António Afonso & Luca Agnello & Davide Furceri, 2008.
"Fiscal Policy Responiveness, Persistence and Discretion,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2008/50, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- António Afonso & Luca Agnello & Davide Furceri, 2010. "Fiscal policy responsiveness, persistence, and discretion," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 503-530, December.
- Afonso, António & Agnello, Luca & Furceri, Davide, 2008. "Fiscal policy responsiveness, persistence and discretion," Working Paper Series 0954, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Luca Agnello & Davide Furceri, 2008. "Fiscal Policy Responsiveness, Persistence, and Discretion," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 659, OECD Publishing.
- Reicher, Christopher Phillip, 2012.
"An estimated fiscal Taylor Rule for the postwar United States,"
Elsevier, vol. 114(3), pages 319-321.
- Christopher Reicher, 2011. "An Estimated Fiscal Taylor Rule for the Postwar United States," Kiel Working Papers 1705, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Kerstin Bernoth & Andrew Hughes Hallet & John Lewis, 2008.
"Did fiscal policy makers know what they were doing? Reassessing fiscal policy with real-time data,"
DNB Working Papers
169, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Lewis, John, 2008. "Did Fiscal Policy Makers Know What They Were Doing? Reassessing Fiscal Policy with Real Time Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 6758, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlos Fonseca Marinheiro, 2005.
"Has the Stability and Growth Pact Stabilised? Evidence from a Panel of 12 European Countries and Some Implications for the Reform of the Pact,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1411, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carlos Marinheiro, 2005. "Has the Stability and Growth Pact stabilised? Evidence from a panel of 12 European countries and some implications for the reform of the Pact," GEMF Working Papers 2005-02, GEMF, Faculty of Economics, University of Coimbra.
- Carlos José Fonseca Marinheiro, 2005. "Has the Stability and Growth Pact stabilised? Evidence from a panel of 12 European countries and some implications for the reform of the Pact," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 31, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- Karsten Staehr, 2007.
"Fiscal policies and business cycles in an enlarged euro area,"
Bank of Estonia Working Papers
2007-03, Bank of Estonia, revised 08 Mar 2007.
- Staehr, Karsten, 2008. "Fiscal policies and business cycles in an enlarged euro area," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 46-69, March.
- Karsten Staehr, 2007. "Fiscal Policies and Business Cycles in an Enlarged Euro Area," CESifo Working Paper Series 1933, CESifo Group Munich.
- Douglas Sutherland & Peter Hoeller & Balázs Égert & Oliver Röhn, 2010. "Counter-cyclical Economic Policy," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 760, OECD Publishing.
- Galí, Jordi & Perotti, Roberto, 2003.
"Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3933, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jordi Galí & Roberto Perotti, 2003. "Fiscal policy and monetary integration in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 533-572, October.
- Oya Celasun & Joong S Kang, 2006. "On the Properties of Various Estimators for Fiscal Reaction Functions," IMF Working Papers 06/182, International Monetary Fund.
- Paloviita, Maritta, 2012. "Real time uncertainty in fiscal planning and debt accumulation in the euro area," Research Discussion Papers 35/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Piergallini Alessandro & Postigliola Michele, 2012.
"Fiscal Policy and Public Debt Dynamics in Italy, 1861-2009,"
Rivista italiana degli economisti,
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 417-440.
- Alessandro Piergallini & Michele Postigliola, 2012. "Fiscal Policy and Public Debt Dynamics in Italy, 1861-2009," CEIS Research Paper 248, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 27 Jul 2012.
- Ethan Ilzetzki & Carlos A. Vegh, 2008. "Procyclical Fiscal Policy in Developing Countries: Truth or Fiction?," NBER Working Papers 14191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp1295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.