The European Debt Crisis and Fiscal Reaction Functions in Europe 2000-2012
After the global financial crisis, some governments in the EU experienced serious debt financing problems, while others were less affected. This paper seeks to shed light on the divergent fiscal performance by assessing the fiscal conduct in the EU countries before and after the outbreak of the crisis. Fiscal reaction functions of the primary balance are estimated for different groups of EU countries using quarterly data for the pre-crisis period 2001-2008 and for the post-crisis period 2009-2012. The pre-crisis estimations reveal some differences in persistence and cyclical reaction between different groups of countries, but generally little feedback from the debt stock to the primary balance. The countries that eventually developed fiscal problems do not stand out. The post-crisis estimations show less counter-cyclicality and much more feedback from the debt stock, and these reactions are particularly pronounced for the countries with severe fiscal problems.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- António Afonso & Luca Agnello & Davide Furceri, 2008.
"Fiscal Policy Responsiveness, Persistence, and Discretion,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
659, OECD Publishing.
- António Afonso & Luca Agnello & Davide Furceri, 2010. "Fiscal policy responsiveness, persistence, and discretion," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 503-530, December.
- Afonso, António & Agnello, Luca & Furceri, Davide, 2008. "Fiscal policy responsiveness, persistence and discretion," Working Paper Series 0954, European Central Bank.
- António Afonso & Luca Agnello & Davide Furceri, 2008. "Fiscal Policy Responiveness, Persistence and Discretion," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/50, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Oya Celasun & Joong Shik Kang, 2006. "On the Properties of Various Estimators for Fiscal Reaction Functions," IMF Working Papers 06/182, International Monetary Fund.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009.
"The impact of the crisis on budget policy in Central and Eastern Europe,"
- Zsolt Darvas, 2010. "The Impact of the Crisis on Budget Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 1-42.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009. "The Impact of the Crisis on Budget Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0924, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009. "The Impact of the Crisis on Budget Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 0904, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Lewis, John, 2008.
"Did Fiscal Policy Makers Know What They Were Doing? Reassessing Fiscal Policy with Real Time Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6758, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kerstin Bernoth & Andrew Hughes Hallet & John Lewis, 2008. "Did fiscal policy makers know what they were doing? Reassessing fiscal policy with real-time data," DNB Working Papers 169, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Charles Wyplosz, 2006. "European Monetary Union: the dark sides of a major success," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(46), pages 207-261, 04.
- repec:rie:review:v:17:y:2012:i:3:n:5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Douglas Sutherland & Peter Hoeller & Balázs Égert & Oliver Röhn, 2010. "Counter-cyclical Economic Policy," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 760, OECD Publishing.
- Jan in't Veld & Martin Larch & Marieke Vandeweyer, 2012.
"Automatic Fiscal Stabilisers: What they are and what they do,"
Vives discussion paper series
29, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculteit Economie en Bedrijfswetenschappen, Vives.
- Jan Veld & Martin Larch & Marieke Vandeweyer, 2013. "Automatic Fiscal Stabilisers: What They Are and What They Do," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 147-163, February.
- Jan in 't Veld & Martin Larch & Marieke Vandeweyer, 2012. "Automatic Fiscal Stabilisers: What they are and what they do," European Economy - Economic Papers 452, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Karsten Staehr, 2007.
"Fiscal policies and business cycles in an enlarged euro area,"
Bank of Estonia Working Papers
2007-03, Bank of Estonia, revised 08 Mar 2007.
- Staehr, Karsten, 2008. "Fiscal policies and business cycles in an enlarged euro area," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 46-69, March.
- Karsten Staehr, 2007. "Fiscal Policies and Business Cycles in an Enlarged Euro Area," CESifo Working Paper Series 1933, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jordi Gali & Roberto Perotti, 2003.
"Fiscal Policy and Monetary Integration in Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
9773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethan Ilzetzki & Carlos A. Vegh, 2008. "Procyclical Fiscal Policy in Developing Countries: Truth or Fiction?," NBER Working Papers 14191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reicher, Christopher Phillip, 2012.
"An estimated fiscal Taylor Rule for the postwar United States,"
Elsevier, vol. 114(3), pages 319-321.
- Christopher Reicher, 2011. "An Estimated Fiscal Taylor Rule for the Postwar United States," Kiel Working Papers 1705, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Henning Bohn, 1998. "The Behavior Of U.S. Public Debt And Deficits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 949-963, August.
- Paloviita, Maritta, 2012. "Real time uncertainty in fiscal planning and debt accumulation in the euro area," Research Discussion Papers 35/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Carlos Marinheiro, 2005.
"Has the Stability and Growth Pact stabilised? Evidence from a panel of 12 European countries and some implications for the reform of the Pact,"
GEMF Working Papers
2005-02, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Carlos Fonseca Marinheiro, 2005. "Has the Stability and Growth Pact Stabilised? Evidence from a Panel of 12 European Countries and Some Implications for the Reform of the Pact," CESifo Working Paper Series 1411, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carlos José Fonseca Marinheiro, 2005. "Has the Stability and Growth Pact stabilised? Evidence from a panel of 12 European countries and some implications for the reform of the Pact," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 31, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp1295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.