Explaining Increases in Higher Education Costs
This paper presents new evidence on the conflict between two competing explanations of the increase in college costs, the cost disease theory of William Baumol and William Bowen and the revenue theory of cost of Howard Bowen. Using cross section data, the paper demonstrates that the cost disease explanation dominates.
|Date of creation:||04 Sep 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (757) 221-4311
Fax: (757) 221-2390
Web page: http://www.wm.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert B. Archibald & David H. Feldman, 2004.
"State Higher Education Spending and the Tax Revolt,"
10, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Robert B Archibald & David H Feldman, 2004. "State Higher Education Spending and the Tax Revolt," HEW 0412003, EconWPA.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "Macroeconomics of Unbalanced Growth: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 150, March.
- Thomas Lemieux, 2006.
"Post-Secondary Education and Increasing Wage Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
12077, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Lemieux, 2006. "Postsecondary Education and Increasing Wage Inequality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 195-199, May.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Claudia Goldin & Robert A. Margo, 1991.
"The Great Compression: The Wage Structure in the United States at Mid- Century,"
NBER Working Papers
3817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldin, Claudia & Margo, Robert A, 1992. "The Great Compression: The Wage Structure in the United States at Mid-century," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(1), pages 1-34, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwm:wpaper:42. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daifeng He)or (Alfredo Pereira)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.