A fair solution to the compensation problem
We study equity in economies where agents are endowed with different, non-transferable, personal talents. To compensate them for such differences a given amount of money needs to be shared among them. We axiomatize a family of social orderings over allocations based on efficiency, fairness and robustness properties. Taking into account incentive constraints we derive the optimal policy : individuals with the same talent need to be equally compensated and only people whose level of talent is below a certain threshold should receive a positive compensation.
|Date of creation:||01 Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +32 10473945
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:bla:restud:v:44:y:1977:i:2:p:199-209 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marc Fleurbaey, 2005.
"The Pazner-Schmeidler social ordering: A defense,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 145-166, 04.
- repec:oup:restud:v:73:y:2006:i:1:p:55-83 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elisha A. Pazner & David Schmeidler, 1975.
"Egalitarian Equivalent Allocations: A New Concept of Economic Equity,"
174, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- François Maniquet, 2004.
"On the equivalence between welfarism and equality of opportunity,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 127-147, 08.
- Francois Maniquet, 2002. "On the Equivalence between Welfarism and Equality of Opportunity," Economics Working Papers 0022, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1976. "Equity, Arrow's Conditions, and Rawls' Difference Principle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 793-804, July.
- MANIQUET, François & SPRUMONT, Yves, 2002.
"Fair Production and Allocation of an Excludable Nonrival Good,"
Cahiers de recherche
2002-04, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- François Maniquet & Yves Sprumont, 2004. "Fair Production and Allocation of an Excludable Nonrival Good," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 627-640, 03.
- Francois Maniquet & Yves Sprumont, 2002. "Fair Production and Allocation of an Excludable Nonrival Good," Economics Working Papers 0014, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & GEVERS, Louis, .
"Equity and the informational basis of collective choice,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
350, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thomson, W., 1996. "Consistent Allocation Rules," RCER Working Papers 418, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2005. "Fair social orderings when agents have unequal production skills," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-127, 09.
- Fleurbaey Marc, 1995. "Three Solutions for the Compensation Problem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 505-521, April.
- Dirk Van de gaer & Marc Fleurbaey & Walter Bossert, 1999. "Responsibility, talent, and compensation: A second-best analysis," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 35-55.
- Marc Fleurbaey & François Maniquet, 2006. "Compensation and responsibility," Working Papers halshs-00121367, HAL.
- Maniquet, Francois & Sprumont, Yves, 2005.
"Welfare egalitarianism in non-rival environments,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 155-174, February.
- M. Fleurbaey & F. Maniquet, 2008. "Fair social orderings," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 25-45, January.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Francois Maniquet, 2002.
"Fair Income Tax,"
Economics Working Papers
0021, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ctl:louvec:2007038. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.