Tax Evasion, Tax Monitoring Expenses and Economic Growth- An Empirical Analysis in OECD Countries
Based on an endogenous growth model, we extent Roubini and Sala-i-Martin (1993) theoretical framework to analyse empirically the relationship between economic growth, announced tax rate and tax monitoring expenses using data from 32 OECD countries during the 1999-2007 period. Our results indicate that high announced tax rates above the elasticity of private capital and excess expenses on tax auditing as means of reducing tax evasion are not effective deepening rather recession.
|Date of creation:||29 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:||17 Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gallos - Rethymno 74100|
Phone: +30 831 77405
Fax: +30 831 77406
Web page: http://economics.soc.uoc.gr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hsiao, Cheng & Appelbe, Trent W. & Dineen, Christopher R., 1993.
"A general framework for panel data models with an application to Canadian customer-dialed long distance telephone service,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 63-86, September.
- Hsiao, C. & Appelbe, T.W. & Dineen, C.R., 1992. "A General Framework for Panel Data Models with an Application to Canadian Customer-Dialed Long Distance Telephone Service," Papers 90-92-15, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Hsiao, C. & Mountain, D.C. & Tsui, K.Y. & Chan, M.W.L., 1989.
"Modeling Ontario Regional Electricity System Demand Using A Mixed Fixed And Random Coefficients Approach,"
m8906, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Mountain, Dean C. & Chan, M. W. Luke & Tsui, Kai Y., 1989. "Modeling Ontario regional electricity system demand using a mixed fixed and random coefficients approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 565-587, December.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Kalyvitis, Sarantis, 2004. "On the macroeconomic implications of maintenance in public capital," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 695-712, March.
- Schneider, Friedrich & Buehn, Andreas & Montenegro, Claudio E., 2010.
"Shadow economies all over the world : new estimates for 162 countries from 1999 to 2007,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5356, The World Bank.
- Friedrich Schneider & Andreas Buehn & Claudio E. Montenegro, 2011. "Shadow Economies All Over the World: New Estimates for 162 Countries from 1999 to 2007," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Shadow Economy, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Friedrich Schneider & Andreas Buehn & Claudio E. Montenegro, 2010. "Shadow Economies All over the World: New Estimates for 162 Countries from 1999 to 2007," Working Papers wp322, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Sifis Kafkalas & Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2012. "Tax Evasion and Public Expenditures on Tax Collection Services in an Endogenous Growth Model," Working Papers 1202, University of Crete, Department of Economics, revised 09 Mar 2013.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crt:wpaper:1308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.