The Impact of Trade Promotion Services on Canadian Exporter Performance
We evaluate the impact of the export promotion program delivered by the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service on various dimensions of export performance. Over the 1999-2006 time period we study, Canadian firms successfully diversified their exports to destinations beyond the United States and smaller firms increased their share of total exports. Both of these achievements are explicit aims of the program, but in order to make causal inferences we rely on various identifying assumptions from the treatment effects literature. The results indicate very robustly that the program had an effect at the intensive margin, boosting the average level of exports to given product-destination markets. Effects at the extensive margins of trade, increasing the number of export destinations or number of products exported, are smaller and more sensitive to the identification assumption. This finding differs from previous studies for several Latin American countries where extensive margin effects were most robust. One reason is that the Canadian program was most effective for larger firms and for firms already active on several export markets.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ann Harrison & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009.
"Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
15261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, Ann & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2010. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries," Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier.
- John Baldwin & Wulong Gu, 2003. "Export-market participation and productivity performance in Canadian manufacturing," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 634-657, August.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Joachim Wagner, 2009.
"Subsidies and Exports in Germany. First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(3), pages 179-198.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Subsidies and Exports in Germany First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data," Working Paper Series in Economics 117, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger & Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Subsidies and Exports in Germany: First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4076, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Subsidies and Exports in Germany. First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data," Kiel Working Papers 1481, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger & Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Subsidies and exports in Germany: first evidence from enterprise panel data," Kiel Working Papers 1481, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Moser, Christoph & Nestmann, Thorsten & Wedow, Michael, 2006.
"Political risk and export promotion: evidence from Germany,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,36, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Christoph Moser & Thorsten Nestmann & Michael Wedow, 2008. "Political Risk and Export Promotion: Evidence from Germany," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(6), pages 781-803, 06.
- Nestmann, Thorsten & Moser, Christoph & Wedow, Michael, 2006. "Political risk and export promotion: Evidence from Germany," Research Notes 23, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Payton, Lucy, 2010. "Export promotion agencies: Do they work?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 257-265, March.
- Christian Helmers & Natalia Trofimenko, 2010. "Export Subsidies in a Heterogeneous Firms Framework: Evidence from Colombia," CSAE Working Paper Series 2010-26, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Huber, Martin & Lechner, Michael & Wunsch, Conny, 2010.
"How to Control for Many Covariates? Reliable Estimators Based on the Propensity Score,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5268, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin Huber & Michael Lechner & Conny Wunsch, 2010. "How to control for many covariates? Reliable estimators based on the propensity score," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2010 2010-30, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8597. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.