The impact of trade promotion services on Canadian exporter performance
We evaluate the impact of the programs delivered by the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service (TCS) on export performance by Canadian firms. We draw on a unique set of microdata created by linking three separate firm-level databases: Statistics Canada’s Exporter Register and its Business Register, which provide information on export activity and firm characteristics, and the TCS client management database maintained by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, which contains details on trade promotion services provided to Canadian firms. We apply the treatment effects analytical framework to isolate the effects of public sector trade promotion. We find that TCS programs have a consistent and positive impact on Canadian exporter performance. Exporters that access TCS services export, on average, 17.9 percent more than comparable exporters that do not. Furthermore, we also find that TCS assistance benefits exporters in terms of product and market diversification.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://feb.kuleuven.be/Economics/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Joachim Wagner, 2009.
"Subsidies and Exports in Germany First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
117, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Subsidies and Exports in Germany. First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(3), pages 179-198.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger & Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Subsidies and exports in Germany: first evidence from enterprise panel data," Kiel Working Papers 1481, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger & Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Subsidies and Exports in Germany: First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data," IZA Discussion Papers 4076, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Subsidies and Exports in Germany. First Evidence from Enterprise Panel Data," Kiel Working Papers 1481, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Moser, Christoph & Nestmann, Thorsten & Wedow, Michael, 2006.
"Political risk and export promotion: evidence from Germany,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,36, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Christoph Moser & Thorsten Nestmann & Michael Wedow, 2008. "Political Risk and Export Promotion: Evidence from Germany," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(6), pages 781-803, 06.
- Nestmann, Thorsten & Moser, Christoph & Wedow, Michael, 2006. "Political risk and export promotion: Evidence from Germany," Research Notes 23, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Huber, Martin & Lechner, Michael & Wunsch, Conny, 2010.
"How to Control for Many Covariates? Reliable Estimators Based on the Propensity Score,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5268, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin Huber & Michael Lechner & Conny Wunsch, 2010. "How to control for many covariates? Reliable estimators based on the propensity score," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2010 2010-30, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Christian Helmers & Natalia Trofimenko, 2010.
"Export Subsidies in a Heterogeneous Firms Framework: Evidence from Colombia,"
Economics Series Working Papers
CSAE WPS/2010-26, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Christian Helmers & Natalia Trofimenko, 2010. "Export Subsidies in a Heterogeneous Firms Framework: Evidence from Colombia," CSAE Working Paper Series 2010-26, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Harrison, Ann & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2010.
"Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
- Ann Harrison & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 15261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Baldwin & Wulong Gu, 2003. "Export-market participation and productivity performance in Canadian manufacturing," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 634-657, August.
- Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Payton, Lucy, 2010. "Export promotion agencies: Do they work?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 257-265, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ete:ceswps:ces10.14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (library EBIB)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.