Competition and Trust: Evidence from German Car Manufacturers
We explore the determinants and effects of trust relationships between upstream suppliers and downstream producers. Using unique survey data on individual supplier-buyer relationships in the German automotive industry, we show, by means of different measures of supplier-buyer trust, that higher levels of trust mitigate relationship-specific underinvestment in a classical hold-up situation. Moreover, contrary to the extant literature, we show that higher levels of supplier's trust are reflected in the buyer's choice of a more competitive procurement strategy among potential suppliers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2009.
"The Right Amount of Trust,"
NBER Working Papers
15344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2009. "The Right Amount of Trust," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/33, European University Institute.
- Jeffrey Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2010. "The Right Amount of Trust," Working Papers 2010.61, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Butler, Jeff & Giuliano, Paola & Guiso, Luigi, 2009. "The Right Amount of Trust," CEPR Discussion Papers 7461, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2009. "The Right Amount of Trust," EIEF Working Papers Series 0908, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2009.
- Butler, Jeffrey V. & Giuliano, Paola & Guiso, Luigi, 2009. "The Right Amount of Trust," IZA Discussion Papers 4416, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso Valimaki, 1996.
"Learning and Strategic Pricing,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1113, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2005.
"Trusting the Stock Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5288, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Felli, Leonardo & Harris, Christopher, 1996. "Learning, Wage Dynamics, and Firm-Specific Human Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 838-68, August.
- Jonathan Levin, 2000.
"Relational Incentive Contracts,"
01002, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Joni Hersch & Jeffrey O'Connell & W. Kip Viscusi, 2007. "An Empirical Assessment of Early Offer Reform for Medical Malpractice," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(S2), pages S231-S259, 06.
- Danzon, Patricia, 1984. "The Frequency and Severity of Medical Malpractice Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(1), pages 115-48, April.
- Laura Bottazzi & Marco Da Rin & Thomas Hellmann, 2007.
"The Importance of Trust for Investment: Evidence from Venture Capital,"
325, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Laura Bottazzi & Marco Da Rin & Thomas F. Hellmann, 2011. "The Importance of Trust for Investment: Evidence from Venture Capital," NBER Working Papers 16923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- L. Bottazzi & M. Da Rin & T. Hellmann, 2007. "The Importance of Trust for Investment: Evidence from Venture Capital," Working Papers 612, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Taylor, Curtis R & Wiggins, Steven N, 1997. "Competition or Compensation: Supplier Incentives under the American and Japanese Subcontracting Systems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 598-618, September.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2009. "Relational Contracts and Competitive Screening," CEPR Discussion Papers 7434, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kathryn Zeiler & Charles Silver & Bernard Black & David A. Hyman & William M. Sage, 2007. "Physicians' Insurance Limits and Malpractice Payments: Evidence from Texas Closed Claims, 1990-2003," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(S2), pages S9-S45, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.