Competition and Trust: Evidence from German Car Manufacturers
We explore the determinants and effects of trust relationships between upstream suppliers and downstream producers. Using unique survey data on individual supplier-buyer relationships in the German automotive industry, we show, by means of different measures of supplier-buyer trust, that higher levels of trust mitigate relationship-specific underinvestment in a classical hold-up situation. Moreover, contrary to the extant literature, we show that higher levels of supplier's trust are reflected in the buyer's choice of a more competitive procurement strategy among potential suppliers.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joni Hersch & Jeffrey O'Connell & W. Kip Viscusi, 2007. "An Empirical Assessment of Early Offer Reform for Medical Malpractice," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(S2), pages S231-S259, 06.
- Jonathan Levin, 2000.
"Relational Incentive Contracts,"
01002, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2009.
"The Right Amount of Trust,"
EIEF Working Papers Series
0908, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2009.
- Butler, Jeffrey V. & Giuliano, Paola & Guiso, Luigi, 2009. "The Right Amount of Trust," IZA Discussion Papers 4416, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jeffrey Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2010. "The Right Amount of Trust," Working Papers 2010.61, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Jeffrey Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2009. "The Right Amount of Trust," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/33, European University Institute.
- Butler, Jeff & Giuliano, Paola & Guiso, Luigi, 2009. "The Right Amount of Trust," CEPR Discussion Papers 7461, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey Butler & Paola Giuliano & Luigi Guiso, 2009. "The Right Amount of Trust," NBER Working Papers 15344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Felli, Leonardo & Harris, Christopher, 1996. "Learning, Wage Dynamics, and Firm-Specific Human Capital," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 838-68, August.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2005.
"Trusting the Stock Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5288, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2009. "Relational Contracts and Competitive Screening," CEPR Discussion Papers 7434, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dirk Bergemann & Juuso Valimaki, 1996.
"Learning and Strategic Pricing,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1113, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kathryn Zeiler & Charles Silver & Bernard Black & David A. Hyman & William M. Sage, 2007. "Physicians' Insurance Limits and Malpractice Payments: Evidence from Texas Closed Claims, 1990-2003," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(S2), pages S9-S45, 06.
- Taylor, Curtis R & Wiggins, Steven N, 1997. "Competition or Compensation: Supplier Incentives under the American and Japanese Subcontracting Systems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 598-618, September.
- Danzon, Patricia, 1984. "The Frequency and Severity of Medical Malpractice Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(1), pages 115-48, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.