Fiscal Consolidations and Banking Stability
We empirically investigate the effects of fiscal policy on bank balance sheets, focusing on episodes of fiscal consolidation. To this aim, we employ a very rich data set of individual banks’ balance sheets, combined with a newly compiled data set on fiscal consolidations. We find that standard capital adequacy ratios such as the Tier-1 ratio tend to improve following episodes of fiscal consolidation. Our results suggest that this improvement results from a portfolio re-balancing from private to public debt securities which reduces the risk-weighted value of assets. In fact, if fiscal adjustment efforts are perceived as structural policy changes that improve the sustainability of public finances and, therefore, reduces credit risk, the banks’ demand for government securities increases relative to other assets.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Valeriya Dinger & Jürgen Von Hagen, 2009.
"Does Interbank Borrowing Reduce Bank Risk?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(2-3), pages 491-506, 03.
- Dinger, Valeriya & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2008. "Does Interbank Borrowing Reduce Bank Risk?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6635, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dinger, Valeriya & Hagen, Jürgen von, 2007. "Does Interbank Borrowing Reduce Bank Risk?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 223, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Andrea Pescatori & Daniel Leigh & Jaime Guajardo & Pete Devries, 2011. "A New Action-Based Dataset of Fiscal Consolidation," IMF Working Papers 11/128, International Monetary Fund.
- Daniel Leigh & Andrea Pescatori & Jaime Guajardo, 2011. "Expansionary Austerity New International Evidence," IMF Working Papers 11/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2011.
"Anchoring countercyclical capital buffers: the role of credit aggregates,"
BIS Working Papers
355, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2011. "Anchoring Countercyclical Capital Buffers: The role of Credit Aggregates," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 7(4), pages 189-240, December.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Wagster, John D, 1996. " Impact of the 1988 Basle Accord on International Banks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1321-46, September.
- Luca Agnello & Jacopo Cimadomo, 2012.
"Discretionary Fiscal Policies over the Cycle: New Evidence Based on the ESCB Disaggregated Approach,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 8(2), pages 43-85, June.
- Agnello, Luca & Cimadomo, Jacopo, 2009. "Discretionary Fiscal Policies over the Cycle: New Evidence based on the ESCB Disaggregated Approach," Working Paper Series 1118, European Central Bank.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Stulz, René M., 2012.
"The credit crisis around the globe: Why did some banks perform better?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 1-17.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Stulz, Rene M., 2010. "The Credit Crisis around the Globe: Why Did Some Banks Perform Better?," Working Paper Series 2010-5, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Arturo Estrella & Sangkyun Park & Stavros Peristiani, 2000. "Capital ratios as predictors of bank failure," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 33-52.
- Charles Goodhart & Boris Hofmann & Miguel Segoviano, 2004. "Bank Regulation and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 591-615, Winter.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly,"
Princeton University Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"Varieties of Crises and Their Dates
[This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates
- Darracq Pariès, Matthieu & Kok, Christoffer & Rodriguez-Palenzuela, Diego, 2010.
"Macroeconomic propagation under different regulatory regimes: Evidence from an estimated DSGE model for the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1251, European Central Bank.
- Matthieu Darracq Pariès & Christoffer Kok Sørensen & Diego Rodriguez-Palenzuela, 2011. "Macroeconomic Propagation under Different Regulatory Regimes: Evidence from an Estimated DSGE Model for the Euro Area," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 7(4), pages 49-113, December.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 2010.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Tax Changes: Estimates Based on a New Measure of Fiscal Shocks,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(3), pages 763-801, June.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 2007. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Tax Changes: Estimates Based on a New Measure of Fiscal Shocks," NBER Working Papers 13264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reint Gropp & Florian Heider, 2010.
"The Determinants of Bank Capital Structure,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 14(4), pages 587-622.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Ester Faia & Roland Winkler, 2011. "Debt Consolidation and Financial Stability," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 62(6), pages 1067-1079.
- Arvind Krishnamurthy & Annette Vissing-Jorgensen, 2012. "The Aggregate Demand for Treasury Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(2), pages 233 - 267.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2010.
"Measuring the Output Responses to Fiscal Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
16311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elijah Brewer III & George Kaufman & Larry Wall, 2008.
"Bank Capital Ratios Across Countries: Why Do They Vary?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 177-201, December.
- Elijah Brewer, III & George G. Kaufman & Larry D. Wall, 2008. "Bank capital ratios across countries: why do they vary?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper No. 2008-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepidt:2012-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.