Does Interbank Borrowing Reduce Bank Risk?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Dinger, Valeriya & Hagen, Jürgen von, 2007. "Does Interbank Borrowing Reduce Bank Risk?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 223, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
References listed on IDEAS
- Donald Morgan & Kevin Stiroh, 2001. "Market Discipline of Banks: The Asset Test," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 195-208, October.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Hoyt Bleakley, 2006. "On the market discipline of informationally opaque firms: evidence from bank borrowers in the federal funds market," Staff Reports 257, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- John P. Bonin & Kálmán Mizsei & István P. Székely & Paul Wachtel, 1998. "Banking in Transition Economies," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1286.
- James A. Dorn, 2003. "Introduction," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 23(1), pages 1-9, Spring/Su.
- Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo, 1996. "Banking Sector Fragility and Systemic Sources of Fragility," IMF Working Papers 96/12, International Monetary Fund.
- Adam B. Ashcraft, 2006. "Does the market discipline banks? New evidence from the regulatory capital mix," Staff Reports 244, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- George Clarke & Robert Cull & Maria Soledad Martinez Peria & Susana M. S·nchez, 2003. "Foreign Bank Entry: Experience, Implications for Developing Economies, and Agenda for Further Research," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 25-59.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno M & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2000.
"Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations, and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(3), pages 611-638, August.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2000. "Systemic risk, interbank relations, and liquidity provision by the central bank," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 611-640.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Parigi & Jean Charles Rochet, 1998. "Systemic risk, interbank relations and liquidity provision by the Central Bank," Economics Working Papers 440, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 1999.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1999. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 2325, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- X. Freixas & B. Parigi & J-C. Rochet, 2000. "Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations and Liquidity Provision by theCentral Bank," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 47, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Douglas Evanoff & Larry Wall, 2001.
"Sub-debt Yield Spreads as Bank Risk Measures,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 121-145, October.
- Douglas D. Evanoff & Larry D. Wall, 2001. "Sub-debt yield spreads as bank risk measures," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2001-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Douglas D. Evanoff & Larry D. Wall, 2001. "Sub-debt yield spreads as bank risk measures," Working Paper Series WP-01-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- K. Dimitrova & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2003.
"Deposits insurance during EU accession,"
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Kalina Dimitrova, 2003. "Deposit Insurance During EU Accession," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-617, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- K. Dimitrova & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2003. "Deposits insurance during EU accession," Post-Print halshs-00259793, HAL.
- Berger, Allen N. & Miller, Nathan H. & Petersen, Mitchell A. & Rajan, Raghuram G. & Stein, Jeremy C., 2005.
"Does function follow organizational form? Evidence from the lending practices of large and small banks,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 237-269, May.
- Allen N. Berger & Nathan H. Miller & Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Does function follow organizational form? evidence from the lending practices of large and small banks," Proceedings 815, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Allen N. Berger & Nathan H. Miller & Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Does Function Follow Organizational Form? Evidence From the Lending Practices of Large and Small Banks," NBER Working Papers 8752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Allen N. Berger & Nathan H. Miller & Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan & Jeremy C. Stein, 2002. "Does Function Follow Organzizational Form? Evidence From the Lending Practices of Large and Small Banks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1976, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Billett, Matthew T & Garfinkel, Jon A, 2004. "Financial Flexibility and the Cost of External Finance for U.S. Bank Holding Companies," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(5), pages 827-852, October.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 1996. "Interbank lending and systemic risk," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 733-765.
- Allen N. Berger, 1991. "Market discipline in banking," Proceedings 328, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Furfine, Craig H, 2001. "Banks as Monitors of Other Banks: Evidence from the Overnight Federal Funds Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 33-57, January.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, January.
- Billett, Matthew T. & Garfinkel, Jon A. & O'Neal, Edward S., 1998. "The cost of market versus regulatory discipline in banking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 333-358, June.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1998. "Financial Contagion Journal of Political Economy," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-31, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Valeriya Dinger & Jürgen von Hagen, 2011. "The Competitive Advantage of Incumbents: Evidence from Newly Liberalized Banking Industries," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 167(4), pages 578-607, December.
- Sironi, Andrea, 2002. "Strengthening banks' market discipline and leveling the playing field: Are the two compatible?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1065-1091, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Affinito, Massimiliano, 2012.
"Do interbank customer relationships exist? And how did they function in the crisis? Learning from Italy,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3163-3184.
- Massimiliano Affinito, 2011. "Do interbank customer relationships exist? And how did they function in the crisis? Learning from Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 826, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Green, Christopher & Bai, Ye & Murinde, Victor & Ngoka, Kethi & Maana, Isaya & Tiriongo, Samuel, 2016. "Overnight interbank markets and the determination of the interbank rate: A selective survey," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 149-161.
- Jacopo Cimadomo & Sebastian Hauptmeier & Tom Zimmermann, 2012. "Fiscal Consolidations and Banking Stability," Working Papers 2012-32, CEPII research center.
- repec:eee:finsta:v:33:y:2017:i:c:p:81-95 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carrera, Cesar & Vega, Hugo, 2012. "Interbank Market and Macroprudential Tools in a DSGE Model," Working Papers 2012-014, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Grilli, Ruggero & Tedeschi, Gabriele & Gallegati, Mauro, 2014. "Bank interlinkages and macroeconomic stability," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 72-88.
- Distinguin, Isabelle & Kouassi, Tchudjane & Tarazi, Amine, 2013.
"Interbank deposits and market discipline: Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 544-560.
- Isabelle Distinguin & Tchudjane Kouassi & Amine Tarazi, 2013. "Interbank Deposits and Market Discipline: Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," Post-Print hal-01098716, HAL.
- Craig, Ben R. & Dinger, Valeriya, 2013.
"Deposit market competition, wholesale funding, and bank risk,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3605-3622.
- Craig, B.R. & Dinger, V., 2010. "Deposit Market Competition, Wholesale Funding, and Bank Risk," Discussion Paper 2010-65S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Marko Krznar, 2009. "Contagion Risk in the Croatian Banking System," Working Papers 20, The Croatian National Bank, Croatia.
- Dragoş Ilie, 2012. "Sustainability and Organizational Change by Sustainable Crediting Therapy," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(32), pages 393-403, June.
- Massimiliano Affinito, 2013.
"Central bank refinancing, interbank markets, and the hypothesis of liquidity hoarding: evidence from a euro-area banking system,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
928, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Affinito, Massimiliano, 2013. "Central bank refinancing, interbank markets and the hypothesis of liquidity hoarding: evidence from a euro-area banking system," Working Paper Series 1607, European Central Bank.
- Agur, Itai, 2014. "Bank risk within and across equilibria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 322-333.
- te Kaat, Daniel Marcel & Dinger, Valeriya, 2015. "Global Imbalances and Bank Risk-Taking," Annual Conference 2015 (Muenster): Economic Development - Theory and Policy 112866, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Massimiliano Affinito & Matteo Piazza, 2018. "Always look on the bright side? Central counterparties and interbank markets during the financial crisis," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 1181, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Inoguchi, Masahiro, 2013. "Interbank market, stock market, and bank performance in East Asia," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 136-156.
- Craig, Ben R. & Koetter, Michael & Kruger, Ulrich, 2014.
"Interbank Lending and Distress: Observables, Unobservables, and Network Structure,"
1418, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Craig, Ben & Koetter, Michael & Krüger, Ulrich, 2014. "Interbank lending and distress: Observables, unobservables, and network structure," Discussion Papers 18/2014, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Prabha, Apanard (Penny) & Wihlborg, Clas, 2014. "Implicit guarantees, business models and banks’ risk-taking through the crisis: Global and European perspectives," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 10-38.
- Bednarek, Peter & Dinger, Valeriya & von Westernhagen, Natalja, 2015. "Fundamentals matter: Idiosyncratic shocks and interbank relations," Discussion Papers 44/2015, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Ruggero Grilli & Gabriele Tedeschi & Mauro Gallegati, 2015. "Markets connectivity and financial contagion," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer;Society for Economic Science with Heterogeneous Interacting Agents, vol. 10(2), pages 287-304, October.
- Mamiza Haq & Amine Tarazi & Necmi Avkiran & Ana Rosa Fonceca, 2013. "Market Discipline and Bank Charter Value: The Case of Two Safe Banking Industries," Working Papers hal-00955135, HAL.
- repec:eee:finana:v:54:y:2017:i:c:p:23-38 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tovar-García, Edgar Demetrio, 2016. "Who can better monitor a bank than another bank? Mechanisms of discipline in the Mexican interbank market ||¿Quién mejor que un banco para monitorear otro banco? Mecanismos de disciplina en el mercado," Revista de Métodos Cuantitativos para la Economía y la Empresa = Journal of Quantitative Methods for Economics and Business Administration, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Quantitative Methods for Economics and Business Administration, vol. 21(1), pages 205-229, June.
- Francesco Palazzo, 2016. "Peer monitoring via loss mutualization," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 1088, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Andrievskaya, Irina & Semenova, Maria, 2013. "Market discipline and the Russian interbank market," BOFIT Discussion Papers 29/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
More about this item
Keywordsbank risk; interbank market; market discipline; transition countries;
- E53 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Deposit Insurance
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-04-12 (Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2008-04-12 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-RMG-2008-04-12 (Risk Management)
- NEP-TRA-2008-04-12 (Transition Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:6635. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.