The Competitive Advantage of Incumbents: Evidence from Newly Liberalized Banking Industries
The paper analyzes banking competition in newly liberalized banking industries, where the incumbent banks still dominate the deposit market but are exposed to substantial loan market competition. We argue that incumbent banks, due to their preferential position in the deposit market, are able to generate higher margins than new entrants. Moreover, margins of new entrants are negatively affected by the incumbents' preferential position in the deposit market. The analysis is based on data from 296 banks from ten Central and Eastern European countries for the period 1995-2004.
Volume (Year): 167 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Viral V. Acharya & Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders, 2006.
"Should Banks Be Diversified? Evidence from Individual Bank Loan Portfolios,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1355-1412, May.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders & Viral V. Acharya, 2002. "Should banks be diversified? Evidence from individual bank loan portfolios," BIS Working Papers 118, Bank for International Settlements.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2002.
"Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition,"
CSEF Working Papers
80, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2003. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," Discussion Paper 2003-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships and Competition," Discussion Paper 2002-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Viral V. Acharya & Iftekhar Hasan & Anthony Saunders, 2002. "Should banks be diversified? evidence from individual bank portfolios," Proceedings 836, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gara Afonso & Anna Kovner & Antoinette Schoar, 2011.
"Stressed, Not Frozen: The Federal Funds Market in the Financial Crisis,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 66(4), pages 1109-1139, 08.
- Gara M. Afonso & Anna Kovner & Antoinette Schoar, 2010. "Stressed, not frozen: the Federal Funds market in the financial crisis," Staff Reports 437, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ben R. Craig & Valeriya Dinger, 2008.
"Bank mergers and the dynamics of deposit interest rates,"
1093, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Ben Craig & Valeriya Dinger, 2009. "Bank Mergers and the Dynamics of Deposit Interest Rates," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 111-133, December.
- Ben R. Craig & Valeriya Dinger, 2008. "Bank mergers and the dynamics of deposit interest rates," Working Paper 0806, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, revised 01 Feb 2009.
- Craig, Ben R. & Dinger, Valeriya, 2008. "Bank mergers and the dynamics of deposit interest rates," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2008,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2005. "Competition in markets with dominant firms: A note on the evidence from the Italian banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1083-1093, May.
- Tim S. Campbell, 1987. "The valuation cost approach to the theory of financial intermediation," Proceedings 169, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Dittus, Peter & Prowse, Stephen, 1995. "Corporate control in Central Europe and Russia : should banks own shares?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1481, The World Bank.
- Anderson, Ronald W. & Kegels, Chantal, 1998. "Transition Banking: Financial Development of Central and Eastern Europe," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290131, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(201112)167:4_578:tcaoie_2.0.tx_2-k. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.