Un Análisis de la Capacidad Predictiva del Precio del Cobre sobre la Inflación Global
In this article, I use a family of time-series models to compare the predictive ability between an ad hoc global inflation factor and the copper price when forecasting domestic inflation of a sample of 53 countries. Furthermore, I analise the forecasting ability that the price of copper could provide combined with the global inflation factor and, finally, over the oil price for a monthly sample covering 1995-2013. The countries belong to two groups: the Organisation for Co-operation and Development (OECD) and the Centre for Latin American Monetary Studies (CEMLA). The results indicate that the copper price show modest predictive gains compared to the forecast made without any factor augmentation for the majority of analised countries. When analysing the number of times in which the copper price deliver more accurate forecasts than those based on inflation factor, it is found that occur in a low 9, 17, and 28% of cases when predicting at one-, 12-, and 24-months ahead. Hence, when the copper price actually improves forecast accuracy, it is observed in the long run. It is discovered as well that when copper price helps, it is for Caribbean CEMLA countries. The information provided by oil price over inflation factor and copper price enhances forecast accuracy mainly in the long run, and for South American CEMLA countries gains are of a modest magnitude. These results are important since the information that a commodity price contains on future domestic inflation dynamics is of vital importance for policymakers, especially those concerned with imported inflation.
|Date of creation:||May 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos-Francia, 2009.
"Inflation Dynamics In Latin America,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(3), pages 349-362, July.
- Carlos Capistrán & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2006. "Inflation Dynamics in Latin America," Working Papers 2006-11, Banco de México.
- Carlos Medel, 2015. "Fuelling Future Prices: Oil Price and Global Inflation," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 770, Central Bank of Chile.
- Carlos A. Medel & Pablo M. Pincheira, 2016. "The out-of-sample performance of an exact median-unbiased estimator for the near-unity AR(1) model," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 126-131, February.
- Medel, Carlos & Pincheira, Pablo, 2015. "The Out-of-sample Performance of an Exact Median-Unbiased Estimator for the Near-Unity AR(1) Model," MPRA Paper 62552, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos Medel & Pablo Pincheira, 2015. "The Out-of-Sample Performance of An Exact Median-Unbiased Estimator for the Near-Unity Ar(1)Model," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 768, Central Bank of Chile.
- Carlos A. Medel & Michael Pedersen & Pablo M. Pincheira, 2016. "The Elusive Predictive Ability of Global Inflation," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 120-146, June.
- Carlos Medel & Michael Pedersen & Pablo Pincheira, 2014. "The Elusive Predictive Ability of Global Inflation," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 725, Central Bank of Chile.
- Carlos A. Medel, 2016. "Un análisis de la capacidad predictiva del precio del cobre sobre la inflación global," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 19(2), pages 128-153, August.
- Carlos Medel, 2016. "Un Análisis de la Capacidad Predictiva del Precio del Cobre sobre la Inflación Global," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 786, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bagliano, Fabio C. & Morana, Claudio, 2009. "International macroeconomic dynamics: A factor vector autoregressive approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 432-444, March.
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Claudio Morana, 2006. "International Macroeconomic Dynamics: A Factor Vector Autoregressive Approach," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 32, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Fabio C. Bagliano & Claudio Morana, 2006. "International Macroeconomic Dynamics: a Factor Vector Autoregressive Approach," ICER Working Papers 41-2006, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.