Compactness vs. Sprawl Revisited: Converging Views
This paper examines the relative merits of compact cities or urban sprawl (suburban settlement patterns) as a spatial solution to environmental problems (such as climate control), automobile dependence, economic development, infrastructure costs and the quality of urban life.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pengyu Zhu, 2012. "Are telecommuting and personal travel complements or substitutes?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 48(2), pages 619-639, April.
- Joseph G. Haubrich & Brent Meyer, 2007. "Peak oil," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Aug.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Eluru, Naveen, 2009. "A copula-based approach to accommodate residential self-selection effects in travel behavior modeling," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 749-765, August.
- Kenneth A. Small & Kurt Van Dender, 2007.
"Fuel Efficiency and Motor Vehicle Travel: The Declining Rebound Effect,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 25-52.
- Kenneth A. Small & Kurt Van Dender, 2006. "Fuel Efficiency and Motor Vehicle Travel: The Declining Rebound Effect," Working Papers 050603, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Albert Solé-Ollé & Miriam Hortas Rico, 2008.
"Does urban sprawl increase the costs of providing local public services? Evidence from Spanish municipalities,"
2008/6, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Miriam Hortas-Rico & Albert SolÃ©-OllÃ©, 2010. "Does Urban Sprawl Increase the Costs of Providing Local Public Services? Evidence from Spanish Municipalities," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(7), pages 1513-1540, June.
- Albert Solé-Ollé & Miriam Hortas-Rico, 2008. "Does urban sprawl increase the costs of providing local public services? Evidence from Spanish municipalities," Working Papers XREAP2008-10, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Nov 2008.
- Eid, Jean & Overman, Henry G & Puga, Diego & Turner, Matthew A, 2007.
"Fat City: Questioning the Relationship Between Urban Sprawl and Obesity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6191, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eid, Jean & Overman, Henry G. & Puga, Diego & Turner, Matthew A., 2008. "Fat city: Questioning the relationship between urban sprawl and obesity," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 385-404, March.
- David L. Greene & James R. Kahn & Robert C. Gibson, 1999. "Fuel Economy Rebound Effect for U.S. Household Vehicles," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 1-31.
- Saunders, Michael J. & Kuhnimhof, Tobias & Chlond, Bastian & da Silva, Antonio Nelson Rodrigues, 2008. "Incorporating transport energy into urban planning," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 874-882, July.
- Bento, Antonio M. & Cropper, Maureen L. & Mobarak, Ahmed Mushfiq & Vinha, Katja, 2003. "The impact of urban spatial structure on travel demand in the United States," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3007, The World Bank.
- Dubin, Robin A, 1998. "Predicting House Prices Using Multiple Listings Data," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 35-59, July.
- Can, Ayse, 1992. "Specification and estimation of hedonic housing price models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 453-474, September.
- Gerrit-Jan Knaap & Huibert A. HaccoÃ» & Kelly J. Clifton & John W. Frece (ed.), 2007. "Incentives, Regulations and Plans," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 4039.
- P. Gordon & H. W. Richardson, 2007. "The Debate on Sprawl and Compact Cities: Thoughts Based on the Congress of New Urbanism Charter," Chapters, in: International Handbook of Urban Policy, Volume 1, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Clinton Andrews, 2008. "Greenhouse gas emissions along the rural-urban gradient," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(6), pages 847-870.
- McMillan, Tracy E., 2007. "The relative influence of urban form on a child's travel mode to school," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 69-79, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_4571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.