Entrepreneurship in a Unionised Economy
This paper shows that labor market institutions are important for the formation of new enterprises. The effects of labor market institutions on entrepreneurship, wage determination, and firm size are analysed analytically and illustrated numerically. The main result is that an increase in union power reduces the equilibrium rate of entrepreneurship and reduces the average size of enterprises.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Kanbur, S M, 1979. "Of Risk Taking and the Personal Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 769-797, August.
- Lindh, Thomas & Ohlsson, Henry, 1996. "Self-Employment and Windfall Gains: Evidence from the Swedish Lottery," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1515-26, November.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka & Topi, Jukka, 1996.
"Microeconomic and macroeconomic influences of entry and exit of firms,"
Research Discussion Papers
6/1996, Bank of Finland.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Jukka Topi, 1999. "Microeconomic and Macroeconomic Influences on Entry and Exit of Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 15(3), pages 283-301, November.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1993.
"Sticking it Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
4494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Joulfaian, David & Rosen, Harvey S, 1994. "Sticking It Out: Entrepreneurial Survival and Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 53-75, February.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Vesa Kanniainen, 2001.
"Entrepreneurship, Economic Risks, and Risk Insurance in the Welfare State: Results with OECD Data 1978-93,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(3), pages 195-218, 08.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Vesa Kanniainen, 2000. "Entrepreneurship, Economic Risks, and Risk Insurance in the Welfare State: Results with OECD Data 1978-93," CESifo Working Paper Series 356, CESifo Group Munich.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Harvey S. Rosen & Robert Weathers, 2000.
"Horatio Alger Meets the Mobility Tables,"
NBER Working Papers
7619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ilmakunnas, P. & Kanniainen, V. & Lammi, U., 1999.
"Entrepreneurship, Economic Risks, and Risk-Insurance in the Welfare State,"
University of Helsinki, Department of Economics
453, Department of Economics.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Vesa Kanniainen & Uki Lammi, "undated". "Entrepreneurship, Economic Risks, and Risk-Insurance in the Welfare State," EPRU Working Paper Series 99-03, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-827, August.
- Andreas Wagener, 2000. "Entrepreneurship and Social Security," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(3), pages 284-, May.
- Robin Boadway & Nicolas Marceau & Maurice Marchand & Marianne Vigneault, 1998.
"Entrepreneurship, Asymmetric Information and Unemployment,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
57, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Robin Boadway & Nicolas Marceau & Maurice Marchand & Marianne Vigneault, 1998. "Entrepreneurship, Asymmetric Information, and Unemployment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 5(3), pages 307-327, July.
- Barton H. Hamilton, 2000. "Does Entrepreneurship Pay? An Empirical Analysis of the Returns to Self-Employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 604-631, June.
- de Wit, Gerrit, 1993. " Models of Self-Employment in a Competitive Market," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 367-97, December.
- Holmstrom, Bengt R. & Tirole, Jean, 1989. "The theory of the firm," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 61-133 Elsevier.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-193.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & William M. Gentry, 2000. "Tax Policy and Entrepreneurial Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 283-287, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_379. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.