Endogenous Vertical Restraints in International Trade
This paper examines interbrand competition between a domestic and a foreign manufacturer who market their products through intermediaries. The contracts manufacturers offer these intermediaries are endogenous. In equilibrium contracts may specify exclusive territories (ET), depending on the degree of substitutability between products and the level and degree of transparency of trade barriers. Trade liberalization, through lower or more transparent barriers, may lead manufacturers to use ET, thereby substituting private anti-competitive arrangements for government-imposed barriers. This substitution may decrease competition and welfare, and thus create a role for competition policy in a freer trade environment.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002.
"An Estimate Of The Effect Of Common Currencies On Trade And Income,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466, May.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001. "An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income," Working Paper Series rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Fargeix, Andre & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1987.
"The effect of tariffs in markets with vertical restraints,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt49v754qw, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Fargeix, Andre & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1989. "The effect of tariffs in markets with vertical restraints," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 99-117, February.
- Horn, Henrik & Levinsohn, James A, 2000.
"Merger Policies And Trade Liberalization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Horn, H. & Levinsohn, J., 1998. "Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization," Working Papers 420, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Henrik Horn & James Levinsohn, 1997. "Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization," NBER Working Papers 6077, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Massimo Motta & Fabrizio Onida, 1997. "Trade Policy and Competition Policy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 56(1-2), pages 67-97, June.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Myerson, Roger B, 1983.
"Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1799-819, November.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Roger B. Myerson, 1981. "Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information," Discussion Papers 495, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Sadao Nagaoka, 2000.
"International Trade Aspects of Competition Policy,"
in: Deregulation and Interdependence in the Asia-Pacific Region, NBER-EASE Volume 8, pages 55-78
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph F. Francois & Henrik Horn, 1998. "Competition Policy in an Open Economy," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-092/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1991. "Duopolistic vertical restraints," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1237-1253, August.
- Levinsohn, J., 1994.
"Competition Policy and International Trade,"
362, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19980092 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1989.
"Symmetric pass-through of tariffs and exchange rates under imperfect competition: An empirical test,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 25-45, August.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1987. "Symmetric Pass-Through of Tariffs and Exchange Rates Under Imperfect Competition: An Empirical Test," NBER Working Papers 2453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gallini, Nancy T. & Hollis, Aidan, 1999.
"A contractual approach to the gray market,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Martin Richardson, 2004.
"Trade Policy and Access to Retail Distribution,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 676-688, 09.
- Greif, Avner, 1993. "Contract Enforceability and Economic Institutions in Early Trade: the Maghribi Traders' Coalition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 525-48, June.
- Gary R. Saxonhouse, 1993.
"What Does Japanese Trade Structure Tell Us about Japanese Trade Policy?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 21-43, Summer.
- Saxonhouse, G.R., 1993. "What Does Japanese Trade Structure Tell Us about Japanese Trade Policy?," Working Papers 337, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Richardson, Martin, 1999. "Trade and Competition Policies: Concordia Discors?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(4), pages 649-64, October.
- James E. Rauch, 1996.
"Networks versus Markets in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
5617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1997. "International Mergers and Welfare under Decentralized Competition Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1104-23, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_284. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.